Thursday, February 26, 2015

Going Undercover: Week 7 DLP

Week 7 of the Documented Life Project
February Theme: Layers You Will Love!
February 14: Art Challenge:  Cover Up Good Stuff 
Journal Prompt:  Going Undercover

I started with a scrap of silk fabric, leftover from the class I taught earlier in the month.
(it was orange from mopping up wet paint on my previous journal page!)

I added rubber stamping with VersaCraft ink & heat set it with my heat gun.
That way, when I added wet paint, it would not run. 

I used Dye-Na-Flow paint and this brush below, to add a complimentary color.

I love the swirly lines this brush makes!

I introduced a chartreuse green Dye-Na-Flow as well . . . 
and I decided to fringe the edge of the fabric by cutting it. 
Look on the right side of the page! 

Next came the hard part, to cover up some of what I had done.
I chose white acrylic paint and brushed it on over the paper and silk.

Then covered it up more - I added stamping!

I actually liked covering up what I originally did not want to cover. 
I added more layers by stamping more . . .

That was fun! 

Image Hosting by

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Layers: When not to stop - week 6 DLP

Week 6 of the Documented Life Project
A layered photoshop version I did for the week 6 theme:

February Theme Layers You Will Love! 
February 7 Art Challenge:  When Not To Stop
Journal Prompt:  "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough!" (Ooh)

For some reason I was a little "stuck" on this week's prompt. I typically do a lot of layers in my work, so I am not really sure why I felt stuck. Perhaps because I was busy and not really making time, or rather scheduling time for art. None the less, I made myself start! That trick always seems to work. 
I had been saving fruit and veggie labels/stickers and dove in by placing them in my journal in a pleasing pattern. Anything to get me going on this!

I also added a scrap of magazine page on the left. For my next layer I poured a bit of Orange Dye-na-flow paint on top of the stickers and magazine paper. 

With the wet paint swirling around, I closed and opened the journal. This made a Rorschach looking beetle in the middle that I kind of liked. I used a scrap of silk test material, leftover from a class I had taught that week and pounced the extra paint around to fill some of the white space. This spread had a minimal amount of layers but at the time I felt ready to stop. I had enough!! It wasn't until working on week 7 that I returned to this and added a few more layers . . . some close ups below. 

The finished spread . . . Not my most favorite journal spread, but as I said in my Polaroid Blipfoto journal"It's not my best work, but it is my art work and that is what is important - just doing it."

   yup. just do it! 
   Practice will perfect it, enjoy it in the meantime! 

Image Hosting by

Saturday, February 7, 2015

What Lies Beneath? Week 5

Week 5 of the Documented Life Project
The January Theme: The Blank Page and How to Face It!

Art Challenge for January 31: Under Paper
The Journal Prompt: What Lies Beneath?

I started with a piece of under paper I had saved, paper I had worked on top of previously:

This paper was not very inspiring, so I got out my spray inks and a flower stencil.
I sprayed enough ink in various colors so I could move it around. Note the drips! 
I liked the fact that using this messy under paper gave me the permission 
to play, even more that I usually do.

After I let it dry, I placed it in my journal and made a crease at the spine where I wanted it to lie, 
to make it easier to glue in. I used a glue stick, liberally.

Next I ripped out a Vogue magazine photo of a model in a "graffiti-print" dress -I'm not kidding! The subscription came for free (points on a credit card) and I decided to take it only because of the collage possibilities it offered. ;o)

I filled in the empty white spaces with ripped bits of my decorated under paper 
and found the "LennaLines" Quote stamp I had produced back in 2001.
Ever since I heard the prompt for the week was "what lies beneath" 
- this quote has been swirling around in my head. 

I also wrote the quote out with a permanent marker.

I also used a white Sakura Gelli Roll pen to scribble all over 
the pages and add depth to the model.
There are stitching lines too! 

The full spread is below -

I like the richness of this journal spread.
I also like that I have completed 5 weeks of this project -
Yee Ha! 

Image Hosting by


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...