Saturday, December 6, 2014

catching up on journal pages

Recently I have not been working in my art journal on a daily basis, but I do still dive in a few times a month. Instead, I take photographs every day (fairly consistently) and journal about my favorite one for that particular day on my blipfoto journal. This habit has become a wonderful creative outlet for me - obviously!! I just celebrated 4 years of keeping a daily, or almost daily photo journal. Yahoo!

But paper & paint and my art journal still call to me. In fact I am thinking of challenging myself with a daily art activity like I do in the summer when I participate in the ICAD challenge at Daisy Yellow Art. I know how good it is for me to do a small creative thing every day so I might try to conjure that up again soon, on my own. You can get a good sense of HOW MUCH creativity gets conjures up by looking at my ICAD diary here. ICAD = index card a day!

Anyway, onto my 2 latest art journal spreads, done in late November and early December.

I started this spread by using the leftover glaze from my table stamping as a part of the background.


You can see the bronze glaze shining through the bright spay inks I applied on top -


 This was the day I was waiting for this new couch to be delivered - the image from the online store catalog. They were late and terribly busy which meant I had to hang around for 5 hours!

A bit of doodling . . . working in my art journal made the waiting a lot more palatable!


I love working with those inks. I have a variety of them and also use a blender called ink potion #9 to help the inks to move easily across the page.

✴ ✴ ✴

For the next spread I just felt like doing something different, so I pulled out various papers from my collage paper bin and glued them down, knowing I would do something more to them later . . . . I just felt like I wanted a base of collage and paper instead of ink or paint like my past few spreads had been. Do you know what I mean? So my journal looked like this  to start and it sat like that (below) for a week or two until I went to add something to it.


At that point, I decided to paint a light coat of gesso over the papers.


Then, I got out some stencils I had not tried yet from Stencil Girl
Frieda introduced me to them and I love them! 
Below are 4 different stencils I tried.


I also incorporated some new metallic aquasticks - watercolor but metallic.



And I added a favorite quote I got from a friend on blipfoto, Gitama.


The finished spread


I also made an animoto video about this journal spread. 
If you would enjoy seeing more of the step-by-step photos I took while doing the spread, put together nicely with music for more inspiration - please visit this link. Thanks!!



Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

3 comments:

  1. Nice pages, Lenna! I esp love the hand-drawn feather element you did. And how you let your collage "age" before adding gesso and other layers. Ha- I do that, too. I have lots of stuff "aging" in my sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lenna, it is lovely to visit you again and catch up on you and your art! Your pages here are full of inspiration. I love the two different approaches and your outcome. Playing like this is so fun! I love it too.
    Congratulations on your consistent journalling!
    Have a wonderful holiday season!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lenna ! I love your art yournal , the Colors are so warm and rich .
    I have also a artjournal but have alwYs broblems with the writing part .
    Love from Rini (you know from the ATC swap long ago)
    PS I wish you and your husband a good 2015 !

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...