Thursday, October 9, 2014

Peebles, in the Scottish Borders

I really had fun creating this spread. It is about the town of Peebles in the Scottish Borders where Frieda had her exhibit of Journal Quilts. We went there together on the 20th of September for her Galley Talk at the Tweeddale Museum, home to her 52 Journals exhibit. The town of Peebles exemplified to me the "look" of the towns in the Scottish Borders . . . so many old stone buildings.


I wanted to mimic the stone for my background so I started with 
a template from Stencil Girl - which Frieda introduced me to!


various spray inks were used and I let the inks run . . .


A sponge with Adirondack ink pads in Terra Cotta and Butterscotch filled in the white spaces


The finished background below


I had a lot of photos of the town that I wanted to include, 
so I chose 3 to go directly on the page and 8 for a folding booklet.


Accordion style . . . 


with photos on both sides, attached with washi tape


and I journaled about it, free hand with a permanent marker






And this is only about the town and what I experienced being there! Inside the museum, Frieda welcomed vistors and gave a talk about her process when spending a year making one journal quilt a week, sized A4 (8.5x11") or 10x10". I videoed a part of her Gallery Talk and you are welcome to view it here via this link or click below if you are viewing on  the blog!



As I said to Frieda in a comment yesterday, this was a trip of a lifetime for me!


Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

4 comments:

  1. Love to see you back to posting a little more often. I've missed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Diane! I guess I got bored and tried other options . . . I am still using tumblr - http://creativelenna.tumblr.com/ and blipfoto: http://www.blipfoto.com/creativelenna but I am enjoying posting here again : )))

      Delete
  2. First of all-your journal spread is utterly fantastic Lenna!! I love how your color choices really showcase and compliment the feel of Peebles. And thank you SO much for the awesome video-what a joy it was to see and hear Frieda's voice and to get to be a part of her exhibition from afar! XO

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...