Monday, September 17, 2012

prayer flags - more on mine

Back in June when I was preparing for the artist's prayer flag swap I was about to host, I showed you my first prayer flag I ever made. You can read about that first flag and see my process here.
In this post I will show you the rest of the prayer flags I made. If you'd like to see ALL of the wonderful and beautiful, creative and thoughtful prayer flags made by the 36 participants - visit the creative swaps blog. When you get to the bottom of the blog page, you will need to click on Older Posts to view more! I am in the process of swapping them out and sending them home. When the flags are all sent I will give the artists the opportunity to share photos of their own flags and the swap flags they received, hanging up in the breeze! So watch creative swaps main page for more beauty.

I made these two prayer flags while visiting wolfe island, Ontario
My work area overlooking the St Lawrence River. So very peaceful.

The first flag I made on the left. I'm getting started on a new one.

I took one of my grandmother's (Nonie) linen cocktail napkins with embroidered fish already on it and added my own crude embroidery. At first I did not like it, but by now it has grown on me . . . the word/wish I embroidered is "energy". I will keep this one to fly at home and send me energy!

This is before I accentuated it with inks and also beads.




I did really enjoy hand stitching and adding beads in front of the river . . .

Here are some others I made. This one is made out of a hand towel! 
I think I will keep this one. 

I also added lovely handmade beads by Carolyn Saxby, sewn on to the corner...

This one is so simple, but I love it. All glue and no stitching! 
(my machine was at home!) This one will be swapped.

I made this when I returned home . . . I love this flag but I will swap it.

This one was made on the island and will be part of the swap (I participated too)

My first prayer flag I will keep. Remembering balance in my life is something I really need to bestow upon myself! I beefed up the lettering by outlining it with a black sharpie marker.

Love grows by giving. The love we give away is the only love we keep. 
The only way to retain love is to give it away.
 ~ Elbert Hubbard




6 comments:

  1. I adore every one and the energy one is the best, I feel it is the raw version of you!
    I love your range and depth of processes and thoughts, you are my hero in so many ways my sweet friend! Hugs and love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All so gorgeous, Lenna. Addictive isn't it? xoDonna

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gorgeous selection and I'm sure having that beautiful view must have been inspirational. I need hardly add that's great to see you're embroidering! Such a therapeutic activity that I wish the whole world would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the flappy pieces, and the old linens incorporated. I'm sure making these enhanced your stay on the St. Lawrence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Each one of your flags is so lovely and I love the variety. Your view from the window is so beautiful and peaceful. My favorite flag is the painterly "tranquility" with the beautiful bit of handkerchief and rose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing all your flags! Each one carries such a sweet prayer!
    You are so fortunate to have such a view as well! How inspiring!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...