Friday, July 6, 2012

mistake embraced

 When sending a handmade fabric sheet for my first prayer flag through my printer, it mistakenly printed out a troubleshooting report! At least "no problems were found". I was mad at the time because I had to make up another fabric sheet, but this feeling went away as soon as I successfully printed the words I wanted to for my prayer flag. However, I just could not bear to throw this fabric away. Instead, I thought it might make an interesting background for my art journal. I used my xyron adhesive system to lay sticky adhesive on the back of the fabric, smoothed it into my journal with a bone folder, spritzed ink and watered down paint on this "mistake" and waited for another idea.
 When I returned a day or two later I got the idea to add color with soft pastels. I had never really done that on fabric, but figured it was worth a try. I really liked how the pastels meshed with the fabric. Usually I will use a spray fixative with these pastels but this time, I gave them a light coat of matte medium. I had it out and was using it to apply a thin layer of paper napkin to the left side of the spread that was blank -the printed fabric ends 1/2 way across that page.
 The round clock image with the swans is from ARTchix Studio a sheet called Art Time Pieces. As you can see below I added another positive affirmation from the list my friend Joanna gave me. This time I had a crazy idea to write it out on a fabric flag of sorts. The affirmation is attached only at the spine and is loose. Click on any photo for more details.
 When the matte medium I was using was still wet, I sprinkled on stardust glitter! I love how it shines.
 I ended up spraying the affirmation flag with a bit of the pure sunshine dylusions ink because it seemed to blank otherwise.
 The orange flower in the corner was one I received when I went on a sunset cruise on the floating chapel last month. Since I was with some of my local Nia friends, who do support my growth, I thought adding the flower made a lot of sense. I used E-6000 to make sure it stuck!
 Above shows my flags flipped over. I really like the look of the gold pastel around the edges. That particular one is an oil pastel.

As a note: I don't look at this journal as a place to do remarkable, outstanding art! I look at it as a place to let loose and play, to try different things, to challenge myself with my favorite question, "what if?"
I really appreciate your interest, that you come and take a look, and maybe even comment. Thank you!
It is getting fuller every week! 

We must have the courage to be happy.
 ~ Henri Frederic Amiel


5 comments:

  1. hi lenna, i always find it interesting to look at the art journey.....this one ended very well. thanks for sharing the process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to you had to make another due to the printer but happy because the one that was a mistake turned out great in your journal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job of rescuing the mistake and in fact making a gorgeous art journal page out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really glad you still used the 'mistake' - it looks really cool! Beautiful pages, Lenna. I love the colours, the stardust glitter, the loose affirmation, the memories in the flower. Wonderful :o)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy that you are back to sharing you art process. I missed your e-mails when all the family issues were upon you. Great to have you back. Jo Johnson

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...