Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Meal: a collaborative project

This was the photo that Tina (my son Decklin's partner) took of me yesterday at 12 noon for The Meal . . . .
a simultaneous global project organized by the Art House Co-op.


From their site: "Nothing makes us feel connected quite like sharing a meal together. On February 24th at 12pm Eastern Standard Time, thousands of strangers from around the world will sit down for a bite in unison and capture a shared experience at the exact same time. Take a photograph of yourself with your meal and mail it back to us. These simultaneous snapshots – self-portraits of people and their foods – will be exhibited in our storefront project space and made available online. Our aim is to inspire a feeling of community across geographic and cultural boundaries. So wherever you may be on February 24th at 12pm, keep your camera handy and something delicious nearby – and remember that thousands of strangers, both near and far, are sharing that meal with you.."

My plate for "the meal" includes hummus with carrots, 5 grain crackers and a salad with various lettuces, Quinoa, four bean salad, raw mushrooms and leftover cooked yellow squash. These choices reflect the recent change in diet Steven and I have embraced for health reasons after watching the documentary Forks over Knives. Since we started this way of eating (90% plant-based with very minimal meat or dairy) on January 20 we are now truly enjoying what we eat more and feel better. I have even lost a few pounds. My doctor was very positive about my decision to stop taking the medication she had prescribed a year ago for high cholesterol. My levels are now within the normal range and she told me she thought plant based eating was healthier than taking Niaspan! She also said she wished she had more patients like me, willing to change their diet!! Anyway, participating in this project took on extra meaning to me because of these reasons.

Soon after Tina took this photo for me because I could not quite do it myself . . . I printed the digital photo out on matte photo paper in the 4"x6" size as was requested and decorated a hand made envelope to send it to the Art House Co-op offices. FUN!! They have a lot of projects going on now - check out their site and see what is still open! www.arthousecoop.com






xo lenna 


3 comments:

  1. That looks almost too tasty to be so healthy! And good to know it helps with your cholesterol too!
    What with all your dancing and such good food habits you must be superfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lenna, your food looks absolutely delicious. My son Luke's comment, when he saw it, was, "It looks SO healthy" which, of course, is not necessarily a good thing in his view!!

    Looks great to me. I love the envelope that you're going to send it in, too. What a treat for them at the art library.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Oh, I just love the envelope!!!

    Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...