Monday, November 7, 2011

The Butterfly Project

Please read about this project here. There is still time to participate!

front

back

I signed up for this project last year, kept procrastinating and then finally created my butterfly when I knew I could add it to the 4x4 package I was sending to Trudi Sissons. Trudi has organized a group project supporting the Holocaust Museum in Houston, Texas. The Butterfly Project mandate was created to remember the 1,500,000 innocent children who perished as a result of the Holocaust by collecting 1.5 million handmade butterflies. In Spring of 2013, these butterflies will then become a breath-taking exhibition to serve as a memory of this event. More information is here. I have been collecting feathers and sea shells quite a lot these days and they called to me to create my butterfly. i simply arranged the feathers and used GOOP glue to hold them together between 2 shells. It was a simple creation, but I feel it was effective. Trudi has collected over 370 handmade butterflies so far with more to come: see the butterfly gallery here. "Be the change you want to see in the world." 
- I am honored to be a part of this project.


7 comments:

  1. It's so nice to see you posting again! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful project. Love your butterfly, Lenna. It is so 'you'. xxDonna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ADORE the natural simplicity and innocence of this butterfly, so perfect for the Butterfly Project.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reminder about this project... had seen it, filed it in the memory banks which is rarely a good idea! Yours is so unique with the use of the natural materials.. nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Lenna, absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes it is a beautiful project, Lenna- I have read about it !
    Your butterfly, is so special, so nature, so making me think of real wings flying - a very beautiful kind of a butterfly,dear.
    Hugs,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lenna, You are so creative! Using feathers as wings and shells as a body - can you imagine how magical that would be in the eyes of any child?
    Thank you so much for contributing to this worthwhile exhibit!
    ps - we are now at 370 PLUS butterflies!
    Love,
    Trudi

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...