Saturday, October 1, 2011

my father


ANDREWS, Earnest Tisdale Andrews III, age 77, beloved husband of Priscilla Dimock Andrews, died Saturday, October 1, 2011, at Tidewell Bradenton Hospice House in Bradenton, Fla., after a hard-fought wrestling match with colon cancer and other health challenges. Born October 10, 1933, in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, Dale Andrews grew up in Avon, Conn., son of the late E.T. (Earnie) Andrews Jr., and Marian Young Andrews. Following in the footsteps of both his grandfather and father, he served as president of E.T. Andrews & Co., Inc. (for many years the oldest continuously operated stock brokerage firm in Hartford). He spent childhood summers in Truro, Mass., and had exceptionally fond memories of high school years at the Loomis School in Windsor, Conn. , where he was co-captain of the wrestling team, as well as of his four years at Amherst College, and the lifelong friendships made at both schools. He met Pris, the love of his life, at a Loomis School dance (he was 17, she was 16), and they married in 1956. Dale was known for his integrity, tenacity, generosity, and lively sense of humor. Some of his favorite places to kick back were the Canoe Club in East Hartford, the former University Club in Hartford, and on the water (fishing and canoeing). He enjoyed studying businesses, hunting for undervalued companies, and approaching challenges from every angle. A favorite motto he had printed on ETA & Co. pens: “Perspicacity and patience make excellent investment companions.” He was a fiercely loyal friend and much admired advisor; he touched the lives of many. He was a master wood-worker and his creations included cedar strip “Wee Lassie” canoes, cherry furniture, and delicate honey spoons. He enjoyed leading his dogs Tor and Zizi around the show ring, as well as driving a race car around a track. He was a “gentleman farmer” who liked a good cigar while riding his John Deere. In addition to Avon and Bradenton, there were several places he called home over the years, including West Simsbury and South Glastonbury, Conn. (where he and Pris raised their daughters), as well as Gilsum, New Hampshire, Hiawassee, Georgia, and Hayesville, North Carolina.  In addition to his wife, Pris, left to mourn are his daughters and sons-in-law, Lenna Andrews and Steve Deming, Kathy Andrews and Dan Rothenberg; his grandsons, Decklin Foster (and his partner Tina), Dallas Foster (and his wife Liz), Dale Rothenberg, and Ian Rothenberg; his nieces and nephews, Pam Dimock, Stan Dimock, Kathy Aiken Sullivan, Beth Aiken, Matthew Aiken, Brian Nisula and Ken Nisula, and their respective families. He was predeceased by his two sisters, Jane Aiken and Susan Nisula. At Dale’s request, there will be no funeral and he will be cremated. The Andrews family thanks Dale’s and their many friends for their kind support, letters, food, flowers, and prayers.  

--- This was written by my sister Kathy, with a small bit of help from me. Steven and I will pick Kathy up at the airport today (10/2) and she will stay and help my mom through Thursday Sunday. This was expected; dad fought for 3-1/2 years, but of course the finality of it is still hard. My son Decklin heard the news in person from my sister at the end of Dallas and Liz's wedding festivities and he and his partner Tina were going to tell Dallas and Liz. It all worked out and the happy couple did not find out until the next morning. With love and thanks for all the wishes our family has received. We have each other and we are okay.

A related post is here.

34 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss, your dad sounds like he was a great guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your loss, Lenna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your family are in my thoughts are prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lenna, I am so sorry to hear this. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. It is so hard to lose a parent. Much love and strength to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Toutes mes affectueuses pensées vous accompagnent toi et ta famille dans ses instants douloureux ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pride for your Dad shines out from this lovely tribute. A wonderful man, full of interest and character who nurtured a zest for life in his family.

    So sad to read of his passing but I hope at this dark time the knowledge that he is now at peace and out of pain will be of some comfort.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Lenna, I`m so very sorry for you, and your whole family.Your father was a wonderful man, I can tell.
    I send you warm thoughts and hugs.
    Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry for your sad loss. He sounds an amazing man with a zest for life. kind regards, penny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lenna, My heart goes out to you my friend. I am so sorry to hear about your father.Your words speak of a very beautiful gallant and incredible man and i can tell you must all be devastated. Currently my own father is battling cancer which has spread to his lungs and he is of a similar age to your dad. Sending thoughts and prayers to you all
    love June

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lenna,

    I am so sorry for your loss. What a nice tribute this is. It sounds like your dad enjoyed life to the fullest and was much loved.

    My dad is 76 this year and I appreciate every day I get to spend with him. I know you did the same and I hope those happy memories will help ease your sorrow in the days to come. [] [] []

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhhhhhhhh sweet LennaPie, I am so sorry for the loss of your Daddy! Your Dad had a wonderful life and you and have precious memories of him. He will always be with you and I hope you find peace and knowing that has found rest from his battle!
    xoxoxoxoxo
    Soft huggies in your time of sorrow,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear of your loss, may you find comfort in memories in the days ahead.
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lenna, I am so saddened to hear of the loss of your father ~ my thoughts are with you and your family during this very sad time. Your tribute was lovely; he sounds like an amazing man. May your wonderful memories of him comfort you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very sorry for the loss of your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry to hear your sad news. You and your family are in my thoughts xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Lenna,
    So sorry to hear about that. I do hope that you and your family will find consolation in your memories and will help each other to make it through this time. Much strength for you and all of your family.
    Angelika

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Lenna - Even though this was expected, it is still a painful loss for you and your family. The sweet memories of your dad will help you through this difficult time. Big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry to hear about your Father Lenna, a sad time for you and your family to be sure. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time. My Dad was a cigar lover too as many from their generation were. Hugs, love and strength sent your way! Marilou

    ReplyDelete
  20. even though it's "expected"..it is still devastating . i cared for my father as he chose to die at home..and even though i knew it would happen,it was still a blow and a great loss.
    My prayers and love to you,your family and all who knew and loved your father. He is at peace and without pain..it is those who are left behind who will suffer. May your memories bring you comfort and help ease the pain and grief.
    hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You know you are in my heart and my very being Lenna, and all my prayers and strength are with you and your family. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lenna- I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your Father. There is not much anyone can say, however please know you and your family are being thought of with many kind thoughts.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dearest Lenna. I'm so sorry you have lost your Daddy. Your heart will be so heavy. Know I am thinking of you and all your family .. sending love and light during this time. Take care of each other. gentle hugs and much love, Donna xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dearest Lenna, I will hold you and your family in prayer. I'm so sorry that you have lost your dear, dear father. My daddy died in 2001 with pancreatic cancer. Cancer is such a violent disease. We know our wonderful fathers no longer suffer, and they walk beside us each day. I can feel Dad with me always.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dearest Lenna I'm so sorry for your loss. He's not in pain anymore and he's at peace. My prayers and thoughts are with you & your family at this time. God Bless. Pam G.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Lenna and family,

    I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. He fought valiantly and it is evident that all who knew and loved him realize what a special man he was. Your memories of him will act as a comforting blanket against the coldness of loss.

    With my sympathies, Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for sharing so much Lenna. May the caring words of friends and love of surrounding family help lift you during your time of loss. My prayers and thoughts are with you & your family. Linda Garcia, New Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  28. He was a father to be very, very proud of, Lenna and one that has left beautiful memories behind. Hope you and your family will find the strenght to carry on through the hard days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so sorry for the loss of your dad, Lenna,you and your family are in my thougts.

    Hugs,

    Liesbeth

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lenna I am so sorry to read the news about your father. I know you will miss him. My thoughts are with you. take care love and hugs
    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dear Lenna, what a beautifully written tribute filled with love. Anyone who knew him must feel very blessed. With my sincere sympathy to you and your family. Thoughts and prayers are with you. Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lenna, this is a beautiful tribute to your Dad...what a full life he had! Warm thoughts to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  33. Our family prayers this PM for you and yours - and your father. Wonderful tribute you've paid to him in photographs. He might have liked his John Deere, but it appears he also gave one as a gift - perhaps to you or you and your sister? He's probably sailing or canoeing up above - in a boat from his own hands.

    ReplyDelete
  34. So sorry for your the loss of your dear father, Lenna. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers at this time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...