Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mary Green's September Challenge

my september challenge response!

Each month Mary Green has a challenge on her blog Green Paper. She posts a collage sheet she's created with 3 images that you can download for free, and then create something for the challenge! The rules for the challenge are below. Mary also awards a yummy prize, choosing randomly from all of the entries.

Create any piece of art using at least part of each of the 3 images.
Post your work on your blog, Flickr album or somewhere on the web.
Link to it with the linky below so we can all visit you and see your creation.

This was September's challenge sheet -


I took a copy of the envelope and distressed it with ink, crumpled it and printed it in a smaller size. I usually take the images that Mary provides us and print them out in more than one size, sometimes on different types of paper. Then I'll combine the sizes I made.


I used a smaller size of the envelope with a larger size of the woman and I cut 
out only the words running along the bottom of this ad -


I did my collage on top of the lid to a cigar box that belonged to my dad. He does not smoke cigars anymore, but I know it was his box because Rosedale was his brand. Pretty funny, because my dad's name is Dale! I found the box in the garage while working on organizing my studio and figured the top would kind of be like working on an old book cover, like Mary Green taught us in an online class.


I've ripped the envelope open and Henry's letter has fallen out. Fanny's answer is written across her heart. Click on the photo to open it in a new window and then if you see a plus sign, click on the photo again to see more details. I used Distress inks to age the envelope, letter and the cigar box lid. I also sprayed Perfect Pearls mist in a pearl colour over most of this, but wiped a good portion of it away. I found the feather on the beach when walking the dogs the other day. It was sitting on my table and it really called to me to become Fanny's hat, or should I say, her veil?! 

I like Mary's challenges because they spark the creative part of my brain, challenging me to think, what could I do with that? Plus, there are lovely free images to collect and the fun of seeing what everyone else comes up with! I believe you have until midnight on Thursday, September 8th to enter. Please visit Mary's blog to view all the entries and enter yourself, if you like! I think I missed last month because I could not manage to squeeze it in, so it was really fun for me to create this for the September challenge. 

It is not hard to be a little creative every day! 





8 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, I love everything about this! You made such a nice collage out of those pieces, Lenna!!So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous piece of work, Lenna. So perfect on top of your Papa's cigar box. xxDonna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful use of Mary`s sweet images.
    I love your flowered background, Lenna.
    Rainy hugs-Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful job. Love it!
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply brilliant, Lenna. Love the whole love theme and you've used all the elements in such an original way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lenna, I love the romantic story going along with this collage! Great idea to put it on the cigar box lid too.

    I'm hoping to get my challenge entry finished this evening after having had a couple of false starts :o(

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. so gorgeous - the feather is inspired

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...