Tuesday, September 6, 2011

altered books

It has been a while since I worked in an altered book . . . maybe not since I was creating sample pages for my lessons in Artful pages - 4 artists 4 ways. That workshop is available now as a self-paced class. When you register you will receive access to the blog where all 12 lessons are available immediately. Let me know if you have any questions!

I have been busy for some time almost every day for a week now, working on an altered book collaboration I am doing with Sharon Borsavage of Livewire Jewelry. If you are not familiar with Sharon's jewelry or mixed media art, I urge you to go get familiar! She is so awesome. We started our collaboration almost 2 years ago and have been working in each other's altered books with out any deadlines. I have just finished a number of pages in my altered book and I'm sending it to Sharon now for her to work on as she likes, finish up and send home to me. I already have Sharon's book here in my possession and will start working on a few pages soon so I can send her book back home to her! They are both beautiful already, each filled with both of our art.

I will share a few pages with you, but suggest you go visit the set of photos I have called Altered Book Collaboration. You will see more of the step-by-step photos there and you can even look at the photos as a slideshow if you prefer. ; ^  )

part of a new page I did this week. I love the quote, click for details!

new page spread in my book, by me
that is my great uncle's painting in the middle on the right. 


my page on the left, sharon's on the right  : ^ ))

I did this today, then reorganized my ink pads! (Direct to paper ink technique)

These photos are of Sharon's Zinnia's. I copied them
and printed them onto the book pages (after removing them!)

sharon's work in my book -beautiful! 

my cover

I was thinking about the difference between working in and art journal and working in an altered book while I was doing this creative work this week. It is not too different for me . . . here, I have old music pages as my base. When I work in my art journal I have plain paper, most recently water color paper which allows a lot of wet paint for me! I did do a little bit of journaling on my sea grape leaves page in my altered book . . .  but I found I was starting to do a lot more writing in my art journal. I miss it a bit, so I may just need to do a page in my art journal soon. My art journal is almost complete (2nd one!) just a couple more spreads. I am so, so glad that giving that up on a daily basis, allowed me the time and inspiration to return to this exchange with Sharon, so it is all working out. Do you work in an art journal as well as an altered book? Any thoughts? Do you enjoy one more than the other?? Leave me a comment if you feel like it, I'd love to hear from you! ; ^ ) lenna

6 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I worked in an altered book. But i do remember how much I enjoyed it.
    I actually like it more than working in my journal because The text adds that first layer and the illustrations in a book can add so much to the art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pages, all of them, Lenna. I haven't worked on Altered Books for years, however it's one of my favorite things to do. Our round robins always had themes which was kind of fun. The owner of the book would do the cover, and three or four spreads in the book to get it started and then send it off. Amazing things happen in altered books. Somehow they just get my imagination working on high speed. Glad you are having so much fun. hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! The birds and flowers and music together are so comforting and peaceful...inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quote too! Aaaaaand, I absolutely love everything I see here....can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lenna - I am SO excited - I got my first page done for my altered book I started when I took your "4 Artist" class...will be posting when I get back home - may even have a couple more done by the end of the work (though I seem to be churning out ATCs at the moment). As always I LUV your stuff! hugs J

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great collaborative effort, Lenna. Not surprised you wanted to get back to it. As to working in an altered book or a journal I'm doing both at the moment and haven't made my mind up yet. Will let you know when I have! Perhaps the secret is in the variety of journals to work in.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...