Wednesday, July 20, 2011

water soluble crayon *play*

{ art journal July 18 + 19 }


It all started here . . . 

I activated the crayons by misting with water . . .

Then more water . . . 

I really had fun watching it run . . . .

Then I dried the wet paint a bit with my heat gun . . .

let it dry some more.
Then, I let my art journal sit. In the back of my mind I thought about what I might do next. It came to me. I would write how I felt about doing this project, especially since I had some questions recently on how to start, what to do? Also as a reminder for myself.

Personally, I love how this paint from the crayons looks! 
The paper in this Strathmore Visual journal is fantastic.

I did the writing on the fly without practicing or thinking too much about what I was going to say, because I wanted to do it that way. It was a little hard for me but I like how it came out and I think I like this "journaling" in my art journal : ^ ).  I certainly would have not thought I would be doing as much writing as I have been doing recently when I started. 

see Asia running in the top right corner on the grass??? ; ^ )
why don't you dive in, the water is great! 
Larger photos, more steps here on flickr.



8 comments:

  1. I love the look of the crayon running. It looks so exuberant. Beautiful!

    I just wanted to say hi. I just recently started reading your blog, and am entranced by the daily beauty. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My watercolour pencils are a firm fixture on my 'how should I start this?' list. I like how the pencil line isn't always the same colour as the wash it creates so adding water always creates this completely random mess of colour. I've never tried crayons though. They look great for backgrounds. Are they waxy or can you use pencil over the top?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is exactly what I should do...just begin and let the colors and words flow. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lianne, yes! The watercolor crayons are a little bit different than the pencils but same idea. A little more saturated & intense, I think. They do have a slightly waxy surface. I was able to write on top of this fairly easily with a permanent sharpie marker, but sometimes I run into trouble writing with my fine point micron pen.

    The crayons are very versatile and respond to different papers different ways. You can also use them lightly or more exuberant, add a little water of a lot, use a brush, mist, pour, or sponge water on for different effects. I have a link so you can see a set of 12 Lyra crayons here. I use these quite a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to try this technique in my journal. Mine is Mixed Media, not watercolor paper. Wonder if it will turn out ok. I have done mostly backgrounds so far, using different mediums.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just playing w/ watercolor crayons---and then I found this tonight--new things to try! thank you! It's gonna be a journal/sketchbook week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous colour and I love the grid pattern of the squares. The colours really pop and your writing is lovely. So courageous to just write away! But that makes the journal so very personal and that's a great way to art journal.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...