Tuesday, July 5, 2011

july 4 + 5: almost there

Only one more spread left in my 'stuffed to the gills' moleskine hard cover journal that I have been using for my art journal everyday project since May 1st. I got the idea to do this from Julie Fei-Fan Balzer. Julie is very inspiring and has lots of info to get you started. Below is a peek at my second-to-last spread in this journal.

This is how I started, yesterday.
I don't know where the idea came from but I thought it would be great
to start my background with little squares punched from various papers.

There is scrapbook paper, images from classes with Mary Green of Green Paper
(map, florals, bugs, ledger), plus text pages from old books, hand-painted 
scrap papers and women from ARTchix studio.com.


I decided to color the white page with a plum watercolor crayon at this point, working around the squares . . . 

I misted the page with water and used my finger to blend it; then added a bit of white paint in streaks on top, turning the background more lavender.

I added a sprinkling of perfect pearls pigment powder in the color pearl,
by tapping it on with a dry brush, while the paints were still damp.
I began misting walnut ink . . . on both sides of the spread and added leftover tissue paper from the previous spread to the left side (the advantages of not tidying up!).
I stopped working (playing!) at that point and planned to finish the next day. 

This morning I got up and soon afterwards I thought my charcoal pencil 
would do the trick and give me what I was looking for on the right side.
I outlined the squares, and later went back and smudged the marks I had made.
Mary Green got me working with a charcoal pencil in one of the classes I took with 
her, and this small collage has always been a favorite. Hey-it has squares too!
The right side was inviting me to journal . . . .
I have done a little bit of writing in this book and it felt right.

Finally, a scan. Funny how the colors are diffferent. I would say the scan is truer to reality.

One last spread and then maybe the cover?? 
I will definitely be continuing in another journal after this. If you click on the scan you will be able to easily read how I feel about this project! 
Thank you for following this art journey and for all your thoughtful comments.
: ^ ) lenna 



10 comments:

  1. Wonderful pages, I love the effect of the squares particularly when they were charcoaled.

    We all get inspiration from others, and I got my inspiration from you to join in Art Journal Every Day. Thank you!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great page! I love the squares and the charcoal gives it so much depth. Thanks for sharing your art journaling! I really like seeing all that you create.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Lenna! Almost complete and on to the next. Can't wait to see what you do with the cover. xxDonna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm here for two reasons - First of all, I admire your willingness to tackle a commitment like a journal, and stick to it. And then to let everybody see it! I wish I had the time...
    To answer your question about the First Day Covers - Yes. The Duck issue I call an 'open' issue. I take orders for it. The regular issues that I do are by subscription. Subscribers commit to purchasing one of every issue that I do on an annual basis - usually three or four a year.

    They are regular (no. 6) envelopes (not postcards) without gum on the flap which I purchase in bulk.
    In the case of the duck (or Goose, this year), I had commitments for 21 covers, eight of the moisture activated (or gummed) variety, and 8 of the self-adhesive. I do them one at a time, and attempt to make them all the same - often difficult, but easier once I've done one I'm satisfied with. It is akin, I'm assuming, to you sitting down to participate in a themed swap, only tighter. It is hard to keep up the intensity for a regular issue, which I usually do in the neighborhood of 25. I get really bored after the first 7 or 8, but by the time I've done 15 or so, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I often wish I had more time to devote to the old paper, and if I'd quit buying it, I might be able to afford to spend more time doing the art!
    I've never found a piece of (attractive) old paper that I could resist, so the beat goes on!

    I hope I didn't overwhelm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. no, you did not overwhelm, dave. I am interested in what you do! And as far as old paper, I understand the attraction ; ^ ) I may not use it all the time in my collage/mixed-media, but often it is just the thing I need. Mary Green helped me with my appreciation of that!
    Thanks so much for stopping by all that you do. ; ^ ) lenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really showcases the beauty of each paper. Sometimes the materials just need to speak for themselves don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beautiful spread and I really love the mix of squares. The grid like patterns appeal to the quilter in me! Almost done now and it must be wonderful to leaf through the pages and see the spreads you've produced over the past few months! A real achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pages and your step by step instructions. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was the white paint you used watercolor, or acrylic? I figured watercolor.

    I should get a square punch. I don't have a lot of punches. Just a round, a heart, and a star.

    Also, LOVE the luna moth card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandra, it was white acrylic paint in a tube . . . I just squeezed some on my finger and rubbed it on the page!
    : ) lenna

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...