Sunday, July 3, 2011

july 3: family

I have been lucky to have been able to spend time with my family this weekend. My sister is visiting from CT with her family, minus one son who is working at the CT summer camp Kathy & attended, and our dad worked as a counselor at. ; ^ ) Everyone came over to our house for dinner last night, yum! Then Kathy & her husband cooked dinner at my mom and dad's tonight. Very nice to be together. We take them to the airport tomorrow morning.

I think family was on my mind today when I started another spread in my art journal.
I began with laying various papers down, one of my favorite ways to start.
The image on the bottom left is the front of a card I got from Rena Matus.
She sent it in with her little books for the swap and I just had to use it!
The photo I had printed out in consideration for another project, still on my table.
It is a photo of my mom, me at age 15, my dad and his mom -my "Nonie".
she always called me lenna-pie ;  ^ ) click on any photo for details.
I decided to add printed tissue paper with swirls and handmade paper 
with embedded leaves over my background papers. I used matte 
gel medium for this, brushing some on the journal page, laying the papers 
down, then brushing medium over the top of the papers.
Left side below. . .  background papers with thin papers over top.
- and the beautiful card, thank you Rena! 
I did not plan to finish the whole spread  today, but I did . . . 
It needed something more, so I added rubber stamping. 
My family definitely gave me wings and encouraged me to FLY!
After that, all I added was a little gold pigment powder which stuck to the 
still not quite dry matte medium . . .
another close up -
a scan of the entire spread
I have 2 spreads left in this journal! It is so stuffed I can't wait to go into
a new art journal. This time I am going to try a wire bound one!




8 comments:

  1. Oh so nice to spend time with family. You all look so relaxed and lovely in the photo. Your journal spread is super duper! Wow, do you ever look like your Mom in that photograph. Putting tissue paper over the main paper always looks so great .. I love the effect. You have filled that journal very quickly. When I was doing a visual journal on a regular basis, I very much enjoyed a spiral bound .. just because I could keep it flat. Have fun. Happy 4th! xxDonna

    ReplyDelete
  2. We might live in very different parts of the world, but that first photo of your family get together could easily be one from one of our family days; the drinks, the dogs, the different generations etc. Lots of similarities, and it's lovely to see.

    Todays art journal spread is lovely, all the elements add up to a really interesting spread. Great photo of you as a child with your family.

    I have started as I mean to go on with Art Journal Every Day, so far so good! Thank you for inspiring me!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget that family comes first! Have a Happy Fourth of July, Lenna.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pages are very pretty! I especially like the addition of the rubber stamping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you've enjoyed your 4th. This journal spread is so pretty and nostalgic. Again, your step-by-step photos are so helpful. I was going to ask what you were using to adhere it all, and you mentioned the gel medium. Question answered. Only two more pages? You've been a busy girl Lenna-pie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been fun watching your journal grow. You certainly were a cutie at age 15 - still are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your comments!
    nancy, I do use matte medium which is quite liquid, for the tissue paper, handmade paper & paper napkins. You need something kind of wet to soak through these papers, so that is why I use that. But for my background papers and images or photographs - I alternate between using my xyron adhesive, a glue stick or Yes glue! Occasionally Tacky glue too. It is something I decide as I am working -what I think will work best for what! Just wanted you to know i do not use matte medium for everything . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must be wonderful for your parents that you were all together this weekend. And you've made a beautiful spread to remember the day by. Love that photo of lennapie! And everything else simply looks like it was always meant to be together just as you made it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...