Friday, June 17, 2011

art journaling down the line

Well, I am keeping up pretty well working in my art journal and I plan to keep doing it. This spread was done mostly on the 15th and the 16th of june so I think I did not do anything on the 14th, but hey! That is okay. I am certainly doing a lot more mixed media art than I was doing before May 1st. And, it is really art for myself, not for an exchange or a submission, or to be given away. I am quite happy about that.

For this spread I tried a Tim Holtz stencil mask I got at Michael's a few months ago. I had never used one of these before. They are sticky, and when you peel the stencil mask off its backing, it will stick temporarily to your work surface. I grabbed my ColorBox chalk inks, well -just because I like the colors and I had not used them in a while. The whole driving force behind starting this spread was, "what can I do different in my art journal that I have not done yet?"

 Above, the stencil mask is pressed down into my journal. 

Below, I am applying ink around it.
If you don't have ink pads like this you can use a sponge . . .
tap it into your ink pad and then onto your paper.

Now I have peeled the mask off the right side, turned it around and placed it on the left.

I added a definition rubber stamp that was on my desk.

and another one that did not print so well.

 I stamped the image again on patterned vellum paper . . . I will use the one on the right.
I almost forgot to say, my students know this as "a creative recovery!"

 The velum image is in the journal now, attached over the poorly stamped flower. Much better! Then I added charcoal pencil lines . . . that was fun. Steven liked that the best.

And journaling, with a bit of yellow ink!

voila'
View these pages and more, larger in a slideshow here.
Learn more about Art Journal Every Day here -you can start anytime!
: ^  ) lenna

8 comments:

  1. Oh Yes, I am liking this technique. I think I have a mask somewhere ... haven't tried it yet. It's time. You are having so much fun ... it's a good thing. :o) Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this. I love the masked look and the charcoal is a beautiful touch!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I wouldn't even know where to begin but art journaling is something that I find so inspiring! Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This page is wonderful. I love the techniques you have used and seeing the processes you used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lenna, oh so much to read and look at here, ,that I have missed being in Copenhagen with my family...
    I love your spreads with the mask-I have not tryed that ,and don`t own a mask-but it looks like great fun- also the carcoal looks fantastic the way you used it-I have to try that-as there are already a packet with carcoals in my studio....
    and what a romantic tour in that wonderful train-just the best way to use your hat-:)
    I will look closer on the last post with your fantastic journal, I only saw pictures...but it looks gorgeus.
    Hope for a wonderful week-end, dear Lenna--here it is raining!
    Hugs,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  6. You probably won't be at all surprised to find that I bought quite some masks myself at the recent stamp fair. Although sadly no Tim Holtz ones as no-one had these! Love the one you choose! And another beautiful spread in your journal. Love the way you've followed the pattern of the mask with your journalling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! Love the masking,gonna have to remember that!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...