Sunday, May 1, 2011

weight loss

I mentioned working on weight loss in an earlier post, and while I have some hesitation in sharing these photos with you  . . . I have decided to go ahead and do it. I am very proud of having lost 12 pounds so far, since February! Its been about 9 weeks since I changed the way I ate, as in eating less. With my Doctor's advice, I counted my calories. Now I have a very good sense of how quickly it all adds up. I must add that I don't pay strict attention to calories anymore, meaning I don't write them down these days. But now I know what is good for me to eat (lots of veggies, less bread & fats) and how much (smaller portions). I still eat basically what I ate before, so I don't feel like I am depriving myself of much. I also exercise 4 or 5 times a week generally. It helps!

Me before: Taken in late January, 2011
I was mostly happy, but overweight.
My cholesterol levels were also far too high - dangerously.
April 29th, 2011. I'm on the way to Nia dance class.
I started exercising on a regular basis last year, but my weight did not budge one bit until I changed how I ate. I was getting depressed about it and I did not like how being overweight made me feel about myself. Plus it was unhealthy for me. I talked to my Doctor about what I could do about this. I came armed to the appointment with a week's worth of what I ate written down in a notebook. I did not hold back that week and ate normally, but wrote down what I ate everyday. I will never forget what Dr. Pursar said to me at that appointment in February. "Lenna, this is a very healthy diet, but I can see right away you are eating far too many calories!!" Well, that was it! We developed a strategy of counting calories & some ideas on what to eat. When I started doing it, I discovered right away how I had been eating way too much. And so this journey began . . .

Last October my Dr. had put me on medication for my high cholesterol levels as they had been continuing to creep upwards for a couple of years. The extremely good news is that now, my very high Triglyceride levels (275) have already gone down to 102!! Wow. I am so happy! The medicine is not something I will need to take forever, and especially with my weight down a bit more, I should be able to stop taking it.

I am grateful and happy and plan to lose another 15-20 lbs. I wanted to document this journey and I will come back in a couple of months to update you. My next appointment with Dr. Pursar is in July and I cannot wait for her to see the numbers on the scale!! We will probably talk about discontinuing the high cholesterol medicine at that time and I can thank her for giving me the guidance I needed to feel better, look better and be healthier! I'm wondering if you you have a similar story??? Stay well. I will be back soon with some art journaling I just did!

5 comments:

  1. Oh Lenna I am so excited for you!! 12 pounds is a huge accomplishment and you look great. I actually had a similar experience. My friend who is in sport medicine asked me to write down what I ate for a week. He said the same thing. I eat very healthfully but too many calories. It has made me re-think some things. Like you I exercise regularly, just was eating too many calories. That made me feel better actually. I don't feel like I am dieting, just eating less. Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done , Lenna! You look great in the latest photo, and you should be so proud of the weight loss that you have achieved.

    You dr will be so pleased with your progress.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lenna...Good for you!!! and by the way you look great! I am on a similar journey, although I don't have pictures to show :-( I started changing the way that I eat in January. The main things I have done is reduced sugar in my diet tremendously, drinking primarily water as my drink of choice, eating more fruit and veggies, and whole grains..I cook more at home :-) I have lost about 12 pounds so far. While I have been consistent in exercising, I started taking a zumba and yoga class once a week, I know that I really need to kick it up a notch. I really wanted to approach this as a lifestyle change rather than a diet. I am also proud of my 12 pounds and know I am working toward a happier healthier me! Anyway, kudos to you on your journey!! Thanks for sharing :-)

    Yvette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, girl! You're doing well and looking great. What a difference 12 pounds makes! It really helps to write it all down; makes it harder to "thoughtlessly" eat when you see on paper what you've already had. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hats off to you, Lenna! Not only are you looking and feeling better, but those tri-glycerides tell an impressive health story. Losing weight is no simple task, but your commitment to the changes has really paid off. I give you a lot of credit! And the previous comments show that you are not alone in the quest. Good for them, too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...