Monday, May 16, 2011

watercolor crayons, paint & an art journal

I used 2 of my favorite tools to make a background in my art journal today. When I thought about creating my next page and what I would do, I thought to myself: I want to play and draw, makes shapes with my watercolor crayons and see what happens. In fact, I threw my journal and a tin of crayons in my bag when we left to take Decklin & Tina to the airport! It was definitely not a bad idea. After we dropped them off I took my journal out and started working while Steven was driving. Don't worry, I would not do this if I was driving!! Of course, I had my camera with me so I took some photos too.

It felt very much meditation to draw like that in my journal . . . when I got home I finished filling one page with the watercolor crayons and then used a waterbrush to wet the crayon and activate the colors.


Above, wet with a water brush, below -spritzed with a water bottle!

I dried that with a heat gun and got out my tube of white acrylic paint- squeeze!
First I glued the tab down (from removing pages)

Then I painted the right side with white paint and added a bit on top of the watercolor crayons. 
We shall see what tomorrow brings and what I will add!
I hope you are having a fine day, squeeze something creative in! : ^ ) lenna 


7 comments:

  1. It's very cool observing the process. Must add water colour crayons to my wish list. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I'm pleased or disappointed that you don't do art journaling while you're driving! Great background again, like jewels on the page - love the difference the spritzing made, it loosened it all up.

    Have a lovely day,

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Donna and Joanna!
    Donna, YES! You absolutely must add watercolor crayons to your list, in my opinion. I use mine a lot. Besides adding color to paper by drawing or marking the paper and activating it with water, you can also pick up color directly from the crayon with a wet brush or scribble on scrap paper and pick up lovely watercolor with a wet brush and then use it. They are inexpensive too and last forever. I still have a set I bought 10 years ago, even though I bought a new set. : )) lenna
    Try this link from Blick's: lyra watercolor crayons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How heavy is the paper in your journal? I can see a use for the Aquarell in what I do if it goes on fairly lightly and then activated with a small amount of water. Too much H20 and I'd probably have to do some pressing while it is still wet to keep the buckling to a minimum. The effect is what I'm after (like yours). The color looks so smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dave, the color is very smooth. The Moleskine I am using is this one: Moleskine Sketchbook Pocket. It is a hardcover moleskine and the paper is more like a thin cardstock. In the description it says "top quality paper". I must say that it is as. I am pretty hard on my journals and it is holding up well. I had bleed through once but I was literally pouring a thin paint on the other side. The paper in this moleskine is very different from the thin paperback moleskin I used.
    : ) lenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly I'm not doing anything creative at the moment, just travelling backwards and forewards to the exhibition and I'm driving so no activity possible. Looking at your spread I felt my fingers itch!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also have those crayons and i love them! I first discovered them whilst I was studying for my City and Guilds in Design and Embroidery. I still have them and they have been used for the Sketchbook Challenge that I am taking part in.
    x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...