Wednesday, May 18, 2011

start and stop

My new mantra: Start and Stop! This is working for me. Of course I am tempted to do more, but I make myself stop now before I get in too deep. This allows me to not spend so much time doing my art journal that I end up not having time for anything else!!

Another BLANK page, hmmm. What to do?
I gathered up stuff that might be fun to work with.

I decided I wanted to work with fabric. I have not done that yet in this journal.
I laid out some pieces I found to see what I might like.

I decided on my fabrics and used my sewing machine to stitch them together. The lace was 
"dyed" years ago. I used spray bottles of watered down paint to dye the white lace.

* details - click for details! *


For the other side of the spread I took a map Steven had printed out. For some reason 
we had an extra copy -I nabbed it. He printed it out so he could see the channels - 
the boating channels when paddling or sailing around here. The water is very shallow. 
It is on xyron backing paper as I sent it through my xyron to make a big sticker. 

Above, adhering the map to the page.

On the right I used distress stain in weathered wood to fill in the edges of the page. 
My fabric piece I had been working on for that side was not quite the same size
as the page. Now it will blend in better.

A transparency photo of me is on the left and the bank white space 
is awaiting my fabric piece.

me and my sister . . . I am not sure of the year, maybe 1967??
I adore this photo because we are both dressed up in pink, and my sister Kathy 
is smiling and giggling with her hand over her face looking so cute.
A lot of the photos we have of her as a child she is making faces, looking silly,
not pretty like this. And I look like such a big sister here, I just love it! 

It is not glued into my journal yet because I am not sure what I might add.
So I am going to wait until tomorrow, stop and start again!
Click here: Art Journal Every Day.

xoxo lenna 

6 comments:

  1. I love what you have done here! That is such a precious photo...and what a stunning piece of lace!
    Adding fabric spreads to your journal layout is just perfect...it adds texture and so much visual interest.

    Love it!
    Inspiring!

    Ciao Bella Lenna!


    CREATIVE CARMELINA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Ha! I learned something new about colouring lace. Thanks. Great background you are doing. Love the transparent photo over the map. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pages you have been creating, Lenna. Your creative energy never ceases to amaze me. Wishing you a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those fabrics, great colours and textures.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You never cease to amaze me with your different techniques, and the way everything you do is so cohesive! This is gorgeous, especially how you include family photos a lot makes it so special...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lenna, that colored lace is gorgeus,-and I love the photo of you apun the card- great-
    you looks both so sweet-
    XO,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...