Sunday, May 15, 2011

art journal spread done over a few days . . .

I have been working on this spread over a few days, ever since I finished the one with the paper strip background and the 2 photos of Decklin (my son) at 2 very different ages. I find this is a good way for me to work in this journal, to do a little bit every day and know it is okay not to have to finish it. This attitude frees me up to do a little something creative every day, which I love! If you are just finding this post for the first time and want to see where this art journal every day idea comes from, go to: Art Journal Every Day. You can join in anytime!
First, I glued various papers down and worked again with 2 Distress Stains. I used peeled paint (green) on the left side, and weathered wood (light blue) on the right side. Distress Stains are a Ranger product and I got mine at Collage Stuff. The bottle of stain has a dabber top and you simply rub the color on. I like them! I watched a video today with Tim Holtz to learn more about them and it was great, very helpful. Above was what I did late one night, and stopped when I got this far. Click on any photo for a larger photo.
Above, I first added gesso/white paint on top of some of the papers. I had a tube of paint and I squeezed a little on to my finger and then spread it around. When it is wet you have a lot of options -thinner or thicker coverage. I used my heat gun to dry the paint a bit and then I spritzed on mostly turquoise, but also some perfect pearl (white) Perfect Pearls mists. Both the stains and the mists are new products for me that I bought on a whim from Lisa at Collage Stuff because they looked interesting and I have always enjoyed Ranger products. I have not been disappointed! At this point I let the journal sit until another time. 
Then I came back and added just this strip of blue marbled paper that you see above! I still was not quite sure where I was going with it and Decklin & Tina were here, so I just left it. 
Above is how I finished the spread. I started by adding 2 rubber stamp quotes. the one on the left is from a Teesha Moore set I got a few years ago and I absolutely love it, it is so true; In creating, the only hard thing is to begin. 

The one on the right . . . 

 Love is not only 
something you feel.
It is something you do.
     - David Walderson

Is from my very first sheet of unmounted quote rubber stamps I made and sold, back in the year 2000! LennaLines: I only had that small business for 3 years, but I often use the stamps I made, still to this day. I used black VersaCraft ink to make sure the words were nice and dark, and heat set it. I also added a Magenta vine border stamp and I embossed it to make it stand out with some old weathered wood embossing powder. Click on the photo to see it better, then click again! I cut out another butterfly, from Collage Stuff and then I glued down (Tacky glue) a gold mesh bag that was once wrapped round a bottle of red wine! Of course, my husband saved it for me . . . knowing my tendencies to enjoy using common and found objects in my work. I like how it created a web around the couple.... which is from Vintage Image Madness -lovely images from my friend, Casie. They are downloadable -instant gratification!

The 2 small drawings on the spread are courtesy of my husband, Steven.  One of a cat chasing it's tail round and round, and the other of a cat inside a Miller beer bottle!! I love these little drawings done 30 years ago. I had a photocopy in my collage box and so into the page spread it goes! 

Decklin & Tina leave tomorrow, boo hoo. They need to get back to Cambridge, Mass. It has been wonderful to see them. On Thursday, my friend Joy arrives! She will be here for a number of days on a much deserved vacation. She is the assistant Manager at Stonewall Kitchen in Avon, CT where I used to work, and I am so happy she is coming to visit!!!
Stay well, be creative! xo Lenna 

7 comments:

  1. I love it Lenna, I had to set my book aside to finish my doll challenge, she made the deadline and I went way out of the box on her but did it anyway, now I'm getting ready for the real fun and I'm starting my books tomorrow and they will be mailed on time. No worries. I'm liken' paper much more than what I just finished but I carried through. Stop by and see my Alien child if you get a chance she is on Heartful Creations. Hugs xoxo Marilou

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soooo gorgeous! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the way you are approaching this ... making the process yours so you will keep doing it. This is so important. I'm getting more tempted to start one ... hmmmmm. Your pages are wonderful. hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed looking at these pages and reading how you created them. I MUST get some of those Distress Stains! The beautiful butterfly caught up in the golden netting is a superb image, and you could read an awful lot into that symbolism.......

    Brilliant artwork, Lenna!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, what fun to know I'm not the only one buying things on a whim,just because I like the look of them! Must give those stainers a go before too long. I love this spread, Lenna, there is just something extra special about it. Perhaps it's the quotations that speak to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frieda, yes the quotes but I am sure also the romantic couple!! : )) Thank you. I always appreciate your comments. : ^) lenna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful spread,Lenna!! TFS.
    Sending hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...