Friday, May 13, 2011

art journal fun: may 11

I decided to do a strip paper background in my art journal today. I originally learned this technique from Mary Green of Green Paper in one of her online classes. Today I paired it with Ranger's 'Distress Stain' instead of Gesso, but it's the same idea. I love this technique Mary, thanks!

Here's a photo diary, a how to: First gathered paper strips:

I prepared the journal page by spreading Yes glue on with a discarded plastic card.

The papers are left long while gluing . . . 

Then trimmed to fit the page.

Adding the Distress Stains to the page, I also misted it with water to blend.

After it dried, it looked more like this:
I used Peeled paint and Weathered Wood Distress Stains.

A close up
I used lots of vintage papers, a patterned paper napkin and some scrapbook and marbled paper. This is just the beginning . . . tomorrow I will add something(s)! 


p.s. I wrote 2 posts earlier today: Amazing mail art from Kent, UK 
enjoy! 

10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous background, Lenna.

    I'll be back to see what you do with it!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a good start for your journal entry. great aging techniques -- hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lenna your pages looks fantastic, love the technique with strip paper.
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this intriguing process and will try it as soon as possible. Thank you for sharing...play is such fun and exciting! Peace, Mary Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great technique and such a great look, especially with the stains you used. I learn so much over here .. Thanks, Lenna. This daily art journal looks very tempting .. hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the step by step pictures, and how you've adapted Mary's instructions to come up with a very colourful background for the page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fantastic Lenna- I love your mix of colors here,and the "face" it gets with the stain.
    Thank`s for the step by step photoes- -and have a wonderful time with your sweet "guests".
    Hugs,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, this is very cool! I'm definitely going to try it. Reminds me of a technique I saw in Cloth Paper Scissors recently in which strips of paper were sewn together to make a journal cover. Glue is definitely easier. :) Love the look!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like how you've used the Distress Stain rather than the gesso, for a change. Very effective.

    I love the effect you've achieved here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! And I too might just have to try it.
    Thanks for the inspiration...I've been doing too much 'neat' art on my iPad...I think it is time to play with my supplies and make a sticky little mess!

    Ciao Bella!


    CREATIVE CARMELINA

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...