Saturday, March 19, 2011

Quilts & Boats

"The Fisherman" -It won 1st Place!!
A collaborative quilt by Cass Bowen, Joy Abbott, Chris Keys,
Helen Lucas, Linda Kerby, Lynne Minguez, and Cathy Washburn (pictured below).


I've uploaded the photos I took last weekend from the Quilt show I attended put on by The Friendship Knot Quilter's Guild here in Sarasota, Florida - as well as my personal tour of the Dave Lucas Boatworks & Happy Hour Club on the Braden River! My husband Steven knows Dave through boat building and Dave's wife Helen is a member of the Friendship Knot Guild. She had a quilt entered in the show -I just found out it won First place! (see the quilt above). It's quite appropriate that Dave builds boats, and Helen's quilt has a boat in it don't you think? This quilt is actually a historical piece about the Fishing Rancheros in the 1700's. Dave asked Steven if he could help him to dismantle the Quilt show when it was over and I happily volunteered too! I had already heard about it from a student. If you follow this link you can view a wonderful slide show of some of the amazing quilts I saw and get a peek at Lucas Boatworks  a beautiful little boat building spot in the woods.

The Tiki Hut at Dave Lucas Boatworks

enjoy, and have a creative weekend!
many thanks to Nancy Roberts for telling me about this show as well as the Chihuly exhibit!!!


7 comments:

  1. Makes you wanna go sew doesn't it?
    Isn't it time for another swap ?
    maybe something stitched again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing quilt!
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend, Lenna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lenna, this must be a wonderfull spot- looks so cosy and fantastic.You had a beautifull experience- also with the quilts I can see.
    xo, Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for creating the slideshow! Did not make it to the quilt exhibit, so was happy to see it virtually through your discerning eyes ;-0

    The outdoor 'living room' at the boatworks looks so wonderfully old-fashioned Florida - laid back and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasn't this a wonderful show? Such a nice variety of quilts, from traditional to art quilts. A reat treat to see your slide show. Glad you enjoyed the Chihuly exhibit, too! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be off to the library to look at the slideshow next week, Lenna, and thanks so much for making it possible for me to visit a quilt show in Florida!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by Lenna, your the best for doing that in your busy and creative life to take the time for me. Hugs and Blessings sent your way! Marilou

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...