Monday, January 10, 2011

matching handmade bookcases

My dad and my husband Steven have been working in their work shop on a set of matching bookcases for my son Decklin and Tina. Dad & Steven started this project late last August but then took some time off. Now, they are back concentrating on it and getting near a finished product!

picking out wood from my dad's stash, they chose Cherry wood.

My dad drawing up plans 

gluing the shelves together

My dad cutting the shelves





more sanding

I think Steven brings out the "kid" in my dad!! 

almost done and there are 2 of them -matching! 

I'll catch up again here soon with you, as I have my final sketchbook pages to share - it is completely done!! I am psyched. I will be mailing it tomorrow. I've also been busy preparing for a fabulous collaborative project with 3 other amazing artists that will begin in February. You'll hear all about it very soon, I promise!!!!


9 comments:

  1. Great post Lenna. So nice to see them working together.
    Hugs,
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I deleted this one by mistake, but had the email saved!!
    Evidence of an Artistic Life has left a new comment on your post "matching handmade bookcases":

    I think your dad and husband should take pity on me and adopt me and come here and build stuff!! LOL!! These are wonderful!!
    --

    thank you, Chris!! : ))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful bookcases - cherry is such a gorgeous material, with such a wonderful warm colouring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Cool!!! My dad loved to build furniture too. Very good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lenna - do you want to loan them out to me so I can cancel my recent book case order and they can make for me (LOL - they would hate the weather). Looks like they are doing a lovely job - wish my hubby was as talented...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cherrywood shelves. Lucky Decklin and Tina, and what a labour of love for Steven and your dad. Sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so gorgeous! How lucky Decklin and Tina are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the look of cherry wood, these are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, wow! they're looking amazing! we've been quite busy these past couple of weeks, with traveling to see my family & decklin's training and meetings - and I'm sorry we didn't see this post until now! Steven's email brought us lots of joy, though :) we can't wait to get them into our home and fill them with our books. thank you all so much for all of your work and love! xoxoxox tina & decklin

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...