Sunday, January 23, 2011

another little quilt swap

* Water (on my mind) - A Journal Quilt for an exchange * 

Kate North is hosting a Journal Quilt swap called, Another Little Quilt Swap 5. I signed up for this exchange because it was a small Journal Quilt size swap and all types of quilts were welcomed. I am not a traditional or even contemporary quilter, but I love making small arty mixed media quilts or quilties. I have hosted lots of quiltie swaps and even have a tutorial on my teaching site on how to make quilties -check it out here!

My journal quilt is an exploration of the colour blue and the theme of water. As I said, I am not a quilter but more of a mixed media artist who loves fabric! My idea for this challenge/exchange was to work with shades of blue and the feeling that water brings to mind. I gathered various leftover pieces of cotton, some I had painted myself on the banks of a river, on the left side of the piece - and a portion of an old silk shirt that looked like water on the right side.

gathering fabrics
I ripped and snipped pieces of fabric to fit the 8 1/2" X 11" size, first pinned them and then stitched them together using various machine stitches to a piece of batting. Here is a photo diary of my process.

getting started

 - making sure it fit the required size -


One of my main stitches was a large wavy one that I used across the piece.
Click on any photo for more details.

first stitches 

adding fabrics

To embellish the journal quilt I added a line of mini mosaics in blue and 2 pieces of blue sea glass, attached to the fabric with extra strong glue. I also hand sewed on iridescent sequins and tiny seed beads. To finish my journal quilt I sewed a piece of watery light blue fabric to the back by stitching around the edges of the quilt.

hand stitching details


The finished journal quilt - 8-1/2" x 11"


A scan for details . . . click to see more.

It was a lot of fun, thank you Kate!
Kate is in process of posting all the photos of the Journal quilts HERE. After January 31st, we will email her with a list of our 10 favorite quilts and she will match us up with a partner to mail to and receive from. : )
This is a great way to run a swap - i love it! 
I was challenged and it was fun to work on a quiltie again.

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I want to touch it. Fabulous colours and embellishments, it has real movement in it. Brilliant work.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leena, I am enjoying your site so much! My studio is on the 'verge' of being completed ... then I will participate more. Beautiful colours, beautiful embellishments ... such fun. Creativity ... what keeps me going and so many others. Thank You for all your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lenna, I'm in this swap too ! I am finishing up my little quilt this week and will be sending the info to Kate...
    I like the size and will probably do a few more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PREETTTY! Not only is your quiltie my favorite color but it has such wonderful texture and embellishments. Well done! The recipient will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like we were working on colour coordinated quilts at the same time, Lenna. Great minds!!
    Love this symphony in blue with all the embellishments! Some lucky person is going to love this one in the swap.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...