Monday, September 6, 2010

can u see? (sketchbook project)

After getting a large number of boxes filled up for our upcoming move in 2 weeks, I gave myself a treat. I worked in my moleskine journal for the sketchbook 2011 project. I have neglected this project as of late and that just won't do! I was reading my good friend Frieda's blog and specifically the post, For your eyes only. This reminded me that I have seen Frieda use 'eyes' in her mixed media art quite a bit and it inspired me to try something similar. First, a close up . . .


I did a packing tape transfer of a woman's face from a magazine. I had never attempted to do a tape transfer of this size, but Frieda inspired me! You can see the lines of the tape as I had to overlap them, but I still think it looks alright. I like how you can can see the words of the Greek Vocabulary page very faintly through her skin. Below is the entire spread. This moleskine is about 5 x 8", so the full spread you see below is about 10" x 8". Click on any picture for more detail. 


On the left side of the page I used a background technique I learned in the class I am taking: Collage Coterie Online Workshop. Before taking this class I have never used a charcoal pencil in my mixed media collage work! Here you see how I enjoyed using it. On the right I used rubber stamps with Distress Ink to softly spell out some meaningful words. Can u see??
This spread I've done makes me think of the song by Robert Hunter . . . "Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world..."   : ^ )

7 comments:

  1. Your creativity continues to amaze me, Lenna! Beautiful work.
    Wishing you a smooth move - so that you can finally really settle in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this page and the background is super!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lenna,
    great spread and wonderful background! Hope all goes well with the move.
    Have a great day.
    Hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. The spread is looking great, Lenna! I never worry about the lines from the overlapping. Just adds to the texture. Wonderful background!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Lenna! I agree with Frieda! The overlapping is fine and I love what you have done with this spread. Your sketchbook will be so much fun for those who view it once it is sent off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your sketchbook is looking good! Your backgrounds are great. I have bookmarked you so I can keep up with your pages.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...