Saturday, August 21, 2010

zentangle?


I was lucky enough to take a Zentangle® workshop here in Bradenton, FL today! Above, a close-up scan of some of my first tangles (patterns). The Zentangle® website describes the art this way:

"Zentangle is an easy to learn method of creating beautiful images from repetitive patterns. It is a fascinating new art form that is fun and relaxing. It increases focus and creativity."

The first Zentangle I ever saw was done by a student and swap participant of mine, Sarah Boblit. She did a wonderful Zentangle as one of her 4" x 4" pieces for our Roads and Paths swap this April. It truly fascinated me, and in fact, I traded one of my swap pieces for this particular one of hers - see Sarah's Zentangle below:


I did not even know this was a Zentangle® at the time! Later, I ran into a flickr group sharing their tangles and then I looked the word up via a Google search and found the originators website plus many other links. It was much more involved than I would have guessed. The name Zentangle® is patent pending and a registered trademark. To teach this art form you need to attend a Zentangle Workshop to become a Certified Zentangle Teacher, wow! As fate would have it, I received a newsletter a few days ago from a local office & art supply store in Bradenton called Keeton's. It listed a basic Zentangle class that Patsy Monk was teaching and when I inquired there was still room. So I signed up and I am so glad I did!! Here is my first Zentangle in full:


Those are the names of the "tangle" patterns I did
written around the edges.

patsy also had us tangle a name tag : ^ ) 

You can see more of the patterns if you click on my participation certificate!

The Zentangle® art form and method was created by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas. Zentangle® is a registered trademark of Zentangle, Inc. Learn more about this art form at zentangle.com where you can subscribe to their newsletter as well.

Before I took the class today I had already purchased two thin volumes; Design Original books by Suzanne McNeill with many illustrated patterns. I know now that I have gotten started with this process I will return to these books and the tanglepatterns.com web site to learn and do more. Thanks again to Sarah, for originally enlightening and inspiring me. I have already really enjoyed zentangles! Below are some links to Zentangle books that you might like, enjoy!




5 comments:

  1. What fun! I have seen some of these here and there, but didn't know they were actually a trademarked art form! Sure wish there were classes for this in my area. You'd better get certified, Lenna, and offer an online class:))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are stunning - really effective. I haven't had a go at Zentangles, but they do look fun! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to be able to take a class so close to home. I bought the Zentagle kit quite some time ago and did play with it but it would be so much more fun to do it in a class!! Perhaps you should qualify and then you can come to Scotland to teach us all!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I will definitely have to consider Frieda and Joy's idea!!
    ; ^ )))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lenna,

    I have the kit and have done all of one card since I got it in March! There is going to be a class here in November and I am thinking of taking it because I love the whole idea of the zentangle. Don't want to be certified, but would like to add it to my box of interesting stuff I can do.

    Mary Wilkins
    marymarg27608@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...