Monday, August 16, 2010

sketchbook love

While Dallas, Steven and my Dad were out in dad’s fishing boat yesterday, I stayed home and made time to work in my moleskin journal for the Sketchbook Project 2011. It had been a while and I was itching! The last time I checked the stats there were over 12,000 participants signed up! This project, and many more projects, are run by The Art House Co-op. They organize huge art projects as “a way to create a community of artists and give anyone a chance to be part of something creative.” Wow! I love this idea and want to thank Sharon Walworth for originally sending me the link to the Sketchbook Project, thinking it would be something I would like. I love it!

You have seen this page below before, but now you will see the next spread I did, peeking through the ‘sun’ I left open, on the right. Click for more detail.


pg06-08.15.10c
The new page I worked on yesterday is below –click for more detail. I like how you can see back through the window of the sun to the sailboat . . .

I used a lot of transparencies on this spread, of photos printed out with my ink jet printer. The ones of Steven and I are laying on top of one of my favorite coffee dyed tags that I made when preparing for the Technique Tag swap. Steven said it looked like a map.

sketchbook07.8-15AAsm.
There are also watercolor crayons, Butterflies from ARTchix Studio, Pearl Ex pigment powders, transparencies from an old garden catalog, quotes snipped from old magazines, and a manipulated photo of the home Steven and I are in the process of purchasing . . .

sketchbook07.8-15BB.
I think I have said this before but I will reiterate: when I signed up for this project I did not have any plans on what I would do, I just wanted to be a part of it. I chose the theme “This is not a sketchbook” because it’s funny; it IS actually a moleskin sketchbook! And also because I thought it would give me a lot of freedom in whatever I decided to do. I did not think I was going to be creating an artist’s journal, with personal writing /journaling included. As I said before, it feels right to me -- like this is what I should be doing and imagine will continue to do! Not everyone would be comfortable with this modus operandi and even though I do feel a bit exposed sometimes, this is how I work -from my heart. I want to do the same for this project. It will not bother me to send this sketchbook away to join the rest in the project when it is complete. I want to send my art off, myself really, to be part of this collective. Making the art is enough for me. I have a record of it via scans and photographs and I elected to have the Art House Co-op digitize it for their website as well. And it has been wonderful that many artist friends, swap participants, and students have joined me on this journey as well – sketchbook love!!
_sig

3 comments:

  1. I love the way you can play peekaboo through that page! Glimpsing details of what it on the other side!
    So enjoying seeing your sketchbook grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've given me a great idea for my sketchbook for the project (just waiting for it arrive) involving cutting little windows and things. Can't wait to get started! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lenna,
    love your sketchbook - are you taking Mary's new class too?
    Just signed up for it.Thanks for stopping by. Have a wonderful evening.
    Hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...