Friday, August 20, 2010

found typography (in my sketchbook)

I decided to try Michelle Ward's Green Pepper Press Street Team challenge again. This month the theme is Text messaging or you could say ~ found typography: words and phrases as a background for your page. Pretty cool! I don't usually do this type of collage or background so I decided to try. My 5.5" x 8.5" moleskine (theme: this is not a sketchbook!) - the one I'm using for the sketchbook project 2011, seemed like just the right place to try this technique out -click on the scan for detail.  


I started as Michelle suggested and browsed through magazines, grabbing (snipping) lines of text. Actually, I only used 2 magazines, one current 2010 and one circa 1971. That was fun! I wonder if you can pick out which lines came from what year . . . . I arranged the words quickly once I had gathered them and used a glue stick to secure them to my moleskine. Then I got out my watercolor crayons. Let's admit it, I rarely put them away!! I filled in the spaces in between and around the edges and when I was done with that decided my background needed just a bit more - a bit of rubber stamping. Done! fun!

19 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous, I really love it. Where did you get all the different elements?

    I love that we have the same journal theme too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, this is SUPER cool! (Clearly I need to try those watercolor crayons.) What a great way to fill up a page and send a lil' message at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all these positive exhortations (wow that's a good word!!!) I'm betting "Life" came from 1971, not sure about the rest. The stamping and colouring added just the right touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun to see all those different fonts and words being pulled together into one artful whole!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love it! my favorite word is "Rest" it looks
    3-dimensional--very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, all!
    Papier, the word elements were from 2 magazines. A September 2010 Oprah magazine, and a 1971 LIFE magazine. The words 'Explore' above the large LIFE (of course that too), 'Find Your Bliss', 'Surprised?' and 'men' were from the old liFE magazine. the rest were from oprah. There were many more colors and patterns in the later magazine.
    Lisa, yes! you need to try watercolor crayons!
    Lizbeth, I like that word too. ; )
    Thank you Frieda, it was fun! And jgr, I was so surprised to find that 'stitched' word. It was a perfect contrast to the others.
    Try this! Try michelle's challenge ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lenna - terrific spread. Love all the bold words. Cool to learn they came from two mags from different eras. The added color pulls it all together nicely. Thanks for sharing with the team!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! You really made the pages into art work! Love the colours and the stamping afterwards. I'm sorry , but I can't figure wich text belongs to 1971 or to 2010. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your pages and colorful surroundings of the words. The stamps really finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great page for your sketchbook, I should really be starting off with mine now, otherwise I'll never make it!
    Irma

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great pages.... I love how all the ones I've checked out vary so much.

    I LOVE watercolour crayons too - they are so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you blended the diverse type into a great unified image--watercolor crayons are the best, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such rest-ful colors, really like the rubber stamped elements.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lenna, love the positive energy this page has in both words and colours. Thanks for sharing it!

    Take care and cruise on girl!
    /fellow crusader

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wasn't it fun? I so enjoyed this and I love the way yours turned out. Great stamping - girl after my own heart - and a great choice of words.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like your page. Love the background color and stamps too. Great text!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super cool page! I like the addition of color.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a lovely page and I love all the colour. I looked at some of your sketchbook pages, they are great. You are brave to join in, it is enough of a stretch this year just to do the crusades.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the contrast your stitched word brings. Am I am seriously impressed that you had a 1971 mag handy to use!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...