Tuesday, August 24, 2010

black & white in sketchbook

IMG3
A few leftover papers in a box on my desk called me to leave the scanning and uploading of creative swap postcards for later, and so I did. Being creative was what I needed! I am taking an online course by Mary Green called Collage Coterie and that is where the ideas I came up with for this spread in my sketchbook come from. I started here with a variation on the ripped paper technique Mary showed us  . . .
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
and painted the background paper with white paint, watered down a bit. Then I brushed a lot of it off with a wet wipe.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA


Next I added some distress inks in the color of ‘pumice stone’ . . .
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
and used my heat tool to dry the ink on top of the paint. I like the aged look the ink gave the page. This is a new ink pad for me that I picked up on Saturday at the art supply store. I added various paper elements to my background, thinking about the shapes of the items i was adding. Mary’s third lesson in Collage Coterie is about shapes in collage. I’m also working on my charcoal pencil skills from lesson 2. Thanks to Nan, a fellow student, and Mary, I got my charcoal pencil sharpened without it crumbling! I may have gone a little overboard outlining with it, but I had fun using it and the shadows look good to my eye.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

some close ups:
IMG4
this is vintage paper from a seed catalog, circa 1898 -not a copy

that is me in the garden, little lenna, circa 1960 . . .
IMG21
love this mushroom paper from mary’s e-shop!
IMG5
I have not done a lot of making background papers of this type, or thinking about shapes in my collage, or using charcoal pencil as of late, until I took Mary Green’s classes. Run, don’t walk! and sign up!! We are not even halfway through - the blog posts/lessons are scheduled from August 15th through September 9th, the workshop can be joined at any time.The class blog will stay open for 7 months after the end of class; through April 30th. Click here to view more details on the class and hope to see you there!
p.s. This is also the 9th spread of pages in my Sketchbook 2011 project : ^ ) .

7 comments:

  1. Lenna-I have been catching up tonight with all your beautiful collages in your sketch book. This class sounds wonderful, I really love what you have created. The charcoal pencil outlines add such richness and depth.

    Congratulations to your son Dallas on his engagement! and thank you for that beautiful quote. I am going to add it to my book I keep especially for remembering wise words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done a really nice page there!
    Sunny regards - Irma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great spread! You are great with the charcoal - I am not very enamored with using it myself. Think I will stick to pencil shading. You were such a darling little girl - equally so as a grown-up girl, I might add. . .:))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lenna, I just came here for the lst time from Quill Cottage. I'LL BE BACK! I glanced through quickly and everything is so inspiring. I must return and go through your pages. Adding you to my favorites too!
    Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your background - it looks so aged, wonderful. (What a cutie-pie you were!) I'm really enjoying this class too - a lot of that enjoyment is looking at what everyone else is creating. We are all very different people and so produce such different art from the same source. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a deligtful little girl you were! Love the spread and the way you made it. So many textures and looking great together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, Jo. I love the way mary's classes are set up so you can also learn from and be inspired by your classmates! I have enjoyed seeing what you have been doing for this class too. : ) lenna

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...