Friday, July 9, 2010

Letters to Mary

Mary Green, my fabulous Your Vintage GlueBook instructor gave us a challenge the other day . . . read all about it on her blog: Green Paper. What is really great about this challenge is that Mary is giving us a free collage sheet on her blog to do the challenge! Post your artwork with the challenge images on your own blog, and then use a linky tool to create a small thumbnail on Mary's Green Paper Blog that will take visitors to your art. Mary is always coming up with great stuff and I so admire her. For her challenge I did a gluebook page, continuing in my 5" x 8" notebook that I started in class.

Click on the book for more detail!
The images I needed to use were the large envelope addressed to Miss Mary Hayes, the small blue-flowered cigarette card in the envelope and the image of the actress Mabel Amber that is sticking out of the envelope on the right side. I took the envelope image and attached it to the front of a glassine envelope the same size, folding the envelope back to the front and using it like a pocket. Besides the challenge items, I added 2 postage stamps to the envelope, (thank you sharon walworth!) part of Mary Green's business card and a bit of crumpled tissue paper; the same tissue paper that I used as a background for the right side of the spread and as a top trimming for both pages.

On the right there is an old photograph that I liked because it looked as if the children were looking at the actress. I painted her dress with a bit of blue pigment powder, still out in the table from my last project. I added one of the calendars from Mary Green's e-shop and some border scraps from a sheet of scrapbook paper. On the left side I used a illustrated dictionary page sent to me from Mary with the returns of our Vintage Gluebook ATC swap - I love it! The colorful flowers at the bottom I purchased from mary's e-shop and the birds were another swap gift from Mary. Did she know she was sending me "Florida Grasshopper Sparrows"? wow!!  I made the tiny envelopes by hand, and added a small photo of me in California from 1979 at the top of the left hand page. I am into almost Vintage Gluebook pages now that I have graduated from Mary's class! This class is available online, still active and self-paced. Find out more about it by going here: Your Vintage GlueBook class. Thanks for the challenge, Mary!!

15 comments:

  1. Hi Lenna

    I love what you have done for Mary's challenge...

    and I was so happy to receive your pretty bird atc in Mary's swap. It really is gorgeous. I adore the colours.

    Karenx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I love this! Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lenna, This is the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen.....again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lenna, this is simply gorgeous. I love what you have done with all of the pieces you've collected!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Lenna! Your gluebook is coming along so beautifully! I love this page you have created for Mary's challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lenna,
    How clever is your art for the challenge! I'm no expert but I would say it's a very pretty piece!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Your glue book is gorgeous and the page you made for the challenge is absolutely Lovely! I love of the photo of the children on the back! So creative! Great Work! *Ü*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Lenna; speaking of inspiraton! WOW! This is amazing! Thank you for your lovely comment you left on my Blog. I so appreciated you taking the time to do so.

    This glue book, of yours, is fantastic! You've met the challenge spot on and more! Beauteous as usual. Have a wonderful and joyous summer! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful spread, Lenna and so full of very thoughtful touches. And beautiful use of Mary's images!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You really pulled everything together beautifully. I love hoe the images are "exploding" out of the envelop pocket!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lenna! I lOVE what you did with Mary's Challenge! It was quite clever of you to incorporate the envelope in your gluebook..fabulous job! How funny that we were on the same 'wave-length' when thinking of the envelope..the saying must be true~"Great minds think alike"!
    ;-)
    Have a wonderful day!
    Blessings!
    Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lenna....So beautiful. I love how Mary glances lovingly toward the children with her pocket full of treasure below. Lovely... (Love the chickens on the flanking page also!!!)

    Smiles, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful addition to your glue book. I love the layout, it looks as if Miss Mary is looking over her cute charges. Thank you for sharing your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lenna,
    What a beautiful Miss Mary Hayes page, and so happy to have found your blog through this challenge!
    enJOY,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome...I really love what you did with the three pieces...very creative.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...