Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Cortez, Florida assemblage

Cortez, FL shrine by lenna
I have held onto this ATC sized "Dream Box" (aka nicho) from ARTchix Studio for some time; I bought it before we moved to Florida. Yesterday, I was itching to do something different and thought an assemblage in this nicho illustrating my new life in Florida would be just the ticket! 

I have seen so many unusual birds since arriving here from CT; I used one of the Bird themed Art Blast playing cards from ARTchix Studio and added some shells I’ve gathered on the beach. I also used a piece of coconut palm tree fiber (on the bottom under the door). This stuff falls off the trees in my yard a lot and looks like some type of fabric. I have been wanting to use it in my art for a while and this is a start . . .

Steven found the feather for me on one of his many canoeing trips. I used E6000 glue to hold the feather, shells and coconut palm tree fiber to the metal, and I could not resist a splash of stardust glitter -like the sparkle of the water here. I attached the ART Blast playing card to a piece of open weave handmade paper, but the card & paper can be easily removed should I want to open the glass door and change the shrine. I could put in an ATC I made (one of my ocean themed ones would be great!) or perhaps a photo. Click on any picture here for a larger photo and more details.

lenna young andrews - april 20th, 2010

8 comments:

  1. I really love what you've done with this dream box and it's so interesting to see how your new environment has started to influence your art. Inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous, Lenna! Love how this reflects your new surroundings. That coconut tree fiber is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful depiction of the natural discoveries around your new home.

    I wish I had more of those nichos ... I used to have a dozen or more (I went a little crazy when Helga first starting carrying them LOL), but I used them up one by one and now I'm done to none. sigh.

    Love the idea behind the piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lenna, this dream box is totally fabulous, love it.
    debby

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is sooooooooo awesome!! You have created your world with this, you always make my jaw drop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lenna
    I have thus same dream box that I bought some time ago - and I have to admit I had forgotten all about it! You have inspired me to dig it out and have a go! Yours is beautiful.
    hugs
    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool is that dream box and I love how you embellished it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lenna...love this Florida shrine. Lots of great shells and stuff to pick up off the beaches. The birding is awesome too.
    Miss you. Elaine

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...