Monday, January 4, 2010

Helga's Jan. 5th ART Challenge



jan5-challenge 015, originally uploaded by creativelenna.
It's been a while since I have been able to do one of Helga's wonderful challenges . . . we are still in the middle of our long-distance move from CT to FL. We have settled for the time being, in a cottage near my parents with what we could fit in the car! In about 2 weeks or less, the moving truck will meet us down here at a house we will be renting for a year, phew!

Anyways, Helga's January 5th challenge on her blog - http://myartisticlife.typepad.com/ - was to use 3 or more of her recent art challenges and combine them together to make one fabulous piece of art. : ) I could not resist! I chose 'Get Inspired by Pattern, Color, Texture, Your Reading Materials, Things You Enjoy, and Your Scraps!

I started with a circle pattern. I used a circle template and my watercolor crayons, adding different colors, layering and adding gold & black pens. My base was a 12" x 12" piece of scrapbook paper and I pulled colors out of that paper to work with. I added texture by crumpling up a piece of scrap paper and pouncing pink and gold lumiere paint onto the scrapbook paper to add color & texture. I added a piece of watercolor paper behind the scrapbook paper to support it.
I added scraps of thin, hand-dyed tissue paper around the image of the couple. This was an ad in a Jockey underwear catalog! (my reading materials!) I brought this catalog with me when we left CT because I loved this picture, it inspired me! To the horse, I added a pink ribbon with a hand made copper charm that my friend Sharon Borsavage tied around a present for me! The charm has an "xo" etched into it. There are other scraps of paper added, including the couple in the corner on water color paper.
I added "rub-ons" of swirls and flowers and rubber stamping with thick black VersaCraft ink, which I heat set. the stamped saying above the woman on the horse is from Cats Life Press and says, "Can you hear me?" she whispered. "Yes, my sweet, he smiled, and you are music to my ears." That seemed most appropriate for this collage.

I used a metallic marker to edge the piece and splatter all over, something I cannot not seem to resist adding to my work! This is a very "worked over" piece, my favorite kind of art to do.
yours creatively, lenna young andrews January 4, 2010

7 comments:

  1. Oh Lenna, this is absolutely gorgeous!!! I'm so impressed that you made time to create during your big move. Thank you so much for playing in my fun art challenges! I love seeing the details of your piece! So lovely!!! By the way, I noticed your new blog banner...love it with the tropical foliage...can't wait to see more of how the beauty of Florida works its way into your artwork. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lenna,

    It's beautiful! I love reading all the techniques that you've used. It truly releases your inner child. :0)

    Your work is lovely and very inspiring. Good Luck on a smooth move to Florida...I just made a major move to the Smokies of Tennessee last May (with a car load first)..then two 900 mile round trips trips to haul everything else in big trucks....oh, how I'm glad that's behind me.

    I wish your New Year to be bright and merry and full of plenty of bliss!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what beauty, Lenna. It's stunning. Love the picture of the woman with the horse and of course like the twin souls we seem to be, it spoke to me too!! I'm sure this is going to be a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lenna this is stunning! So much to look at. I just browsed through your latest stuff and see you have been very busy making lots of lovely things despite your move - wonderful!

    Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. gosh, thank you for all your wonderful comments! I really "needed" to create something and Helga's challenge was just the ticket. Made me try some other things i might not have otherwise! : ) lenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful. Love your piece of art. So creative :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...