Sunday, August 30, 2009

ARTchix challenge: To have & to hold

On Helga Strauss' blog, the challenge is: To Have and To Hold . . . she asks us to "make a piece of art that shows a person or animal holding something"~ wow! Check out some cool samples at the link above. Since the deadline is September 8th, i am amazingly, early this time! You don't need to use ARTchix Studio products for Helga's blog challenges, but i often do just because i love to use them. Here is what i came up with in answer to her call; a close-up of the main section, which is done on canvas paper -click for more detail:

and, the whole challenge piece shown below, is sewed to a section of hand painted fabric i made this summer:

I started with an image from Women in Art, a classic ARTchix Studio collage sheet, then I cut out two hearts from the Heart and Soul collage sheet. I wanted the woman to be holding the hearts for Helga's challenge, so i got out my x-acto knife and carefully cut out her arm & hand. Then i just played with the placement of the 2 hearts (glued together by now) until i got a look that pleased me, then attached them to her with a glue stick.

I looked for a background to place the Woman in Art image on, and found a small piece of canvas paper that i had done a tissue paper background sample on for one of my collage classes. It had the right color and feeling. I used my xyron machine to make the image with the hearts into a sticker, but then also sewed this to the canvas paper to make sure it stuck and to add interest. Then i got a little carried away and sewed all over!

I wanted words to express what the image was portraying, and settled on a quote rubber stamp that i produced when i had a small line of quote stamps: LennaLines. I stamped this on tissue paper with permanent ink and then used gel medium to attach it. I also spread gel medium over the entire collage and added a turquoise yarn and a gold thread to the composition. Then i had to be patient and let the canvas paper piece dry - i placed it out in the sun! I did not like it all by itself, so i reached again for the fabric i painted for the peace banner project to use as a frame or base for the whole thing. Ta DA! I sewed the canvas to the painted fabric & smiled. I am ever so grateful to Helga at ARTchix Studio for her continued inspiration and challenges, they are keeping me in form!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this is just lovely, Lenna! Really enjoyed your little video clip with your artwork too! What fun!!! Thanks for a bounty of inspiration on this Monday! )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lenna, Lovely art! I'm going to add you as a link - Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is beautiful!
    i enjoyed your other post of the painted fabric too,
    lovely life and art you make

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...