Monday, July 27, 2009

AB 2009 :: Words with Color

~This is the cover of my own altered book for a RR exchange that begins in September. I will be sending it around Round Robin style for 12 other artists to work in: Sallie Rodman, Barb Malty, Barbara DeLisle, Bonnie Ashurst, Buffy Izzo, Christy Laudig, Gigi Lorenc-Gibson, Joy Meadows, Lisa Robinson, Peggy Gatto, Renee Stockfleth, and Susan Cervantez- wow! I was asked earlier this month if I would like to join in the 2nd round of this AB group and I said, 'Yes!" I believe everyone involved in this exchange met on the artchix studio yahoo group. Thanks to Sallie Rodman for hosting!

I took the opportunity of my ample free time while on vacation on Wolfe Island to work on my altered book pages and cover. I wanted to complete this project early, as things are up in the air with our home being on the market. This way, if I get busy packing (our fingers are crossed!) this project is complete and ready to send.

I painted the cover with white acrylic paint in order to cover the original photo. This is a Cookbook - Pillsbury's Creative Cooking! The theme for my book is "words" with the additional theme and use of a color combination. I have so been enjoying the Colour Groupies color combinations that I wanted to extend that theme to this book and see what combinations the participants would come up with.

I used sections of ripped lime green and gold mulberry paper (my color combo) to add color to the plain white cover. I also rubber stamped the title and added other fun stamps with both VersaCraft and StazOn inks (permanent). I had grabbed a bag of magnetic words meant for your refrigerator (where these used to be!) and choose some words to fit my theme and book. The words I picked read: With Open Mind We Make Our Way ~cool! I added them to the cover with E6000 glue.

Below, my intro and sign in page . . . I typed the important info up and then printed it out & affixed it inside the cover -click for more detail. I had fun adding a lot of lines and squiggles with various pens.

The first few pages are below - click on them for more detail . . .

On the "contents" page I listed the participants and kept with my lime green/gold color combo. I also had fun with some fish stamps made by Fred Mullett that have been in my collection for years! I added one of my favorite quotes, top right . . . .

I left one of the recipes to show, along with not obscuring the words on this page below by using a light wash of paint. I love those gyotaku (art of fish printing) stamps by Fred Mullett.

The last page shown below is entirely fabric and was glued directly to a paper page after doing the sewing, painting, gluing of paper, and beading on the piece of fabric separately. I sewed a fabric image from ARTchix Studio to the fabric base and added beads. Hmmm, ARTchix Studio does not sell fabric collage sheet images these days . . . so, I copied a transparency sheet collage image of theirs onto a piece of plain fabric with my color copier. Instructions for this are available on the ARTchix website -part of one my free classes: Transferring ARTchix images to fabric!

It is so delightful to work on an altered book again! I really look forward to this upcoming Round Robin. We will keep our work for each recipient secret until the books return home to their owners . . . so I may only show tiny cropped portions of my work, or nothing at all while this is in process. In a year (or less) I can share my book with everyone's work and all my pages in their books - enjoy! Lenna Young Andrews, July 27, 2009

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait!!!
    Just a lovely idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lenna,

    Look forward to working in your lovely book. I've still go to find one...I looked while out today, but haven't found one that catches my fancy yet.

    September will be here before we know it.

    Hugs!

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Lenna!! Your book is gorgeous! I am excited to get started - I'm going to be using a cookbook, too. It has a spiral binding and will be easy to work on with the pages lying flat. Found it at Goodwill. I have to get it "prepped" and ready to go, but at least I have it!

    Hope your house sells soon and you can get settled in Florida - sounds like a huge job to me, but it will be a happy one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lenna, love your book. It looks to be a lot of fun. I have mine just about ready.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Lenna, this is yummy! I can't wait to get my hands on it. I need to work on mine a little more. Found a book called The Ladies Room Reader. Fun, fun, fun coming our way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so lovely! And I really like the theme that you are using. Sometimes I do SO wish I lived in the US too as the postal charges from here really make this kind of RR a no-no for me. But I'm going to enjoy seeing your book taking shape!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...