Friday, June 12, 2009

"Generosity" ATC received!

click on any photo for more detail Thanks, Patti, for letting me know that another one of my generosity meme projects was received!! This little gift that I sent to Patti Schmid because she responded to my original post, is an ATC that I started creating in my 'water media' class that just ended yesterday. I will certainly miss that class. One Thursday in class, after working on a landscape painting, I wanted to do something a little more 'looser' and free, so I pulled out my Dye-Na-Flow paints and decided to fool around. These paints have a very thin consistency. They are formulated more like dyes or inks, even though they truly are paints. Dye-Na-Flow comes in a wide range of colors and that day I opted for the brightest of colours! My teacher Frank Federico was really 'wowed' at the bright neon colors I used, but he so enjoyed seeing my finished ATCs when I returned the following week!

You can read more about Dye-Na-Flow HERE-the Jacquard web site. For this project I used a sponge and also a fan brush to paint the different colors all over the page. At that point, I had not decided yet what to do with my wild painting . . . . .

When I got home later, the idea hit me to take the entire sheet and cut it up into 2.5" x 3.5" sized ATCs as you see above (all scrunched together). I used my big paper cutter to do this and it worked out great; I got 15 cards from the entire large sheet. At first I did not know what more I wanted to do with them; I had only decided that I would give some to my teacher & classmates, and perhaps give some as gifts for this project. Then, it hit me! I still have all my "LennaLines" quote stamps from when I took my favorite quotes and made them into unmounted rubber stamps to sell. Using the quotes would allow the bright painted background to shine through while giving the ATCs the something extra they needed. I used Fabrico (VersaCraft) ink, which I heat set, in a midnight blue color - less harsh than black, but still with enough contrast. I chose quotes for all of the ATCs and stamped away.

I picked the ATC with the "Art is a calling" quote for Patti because I thought it would speak to her better than any of the other quotes. I do not remember where I got that quote from, Patti . . . it has been in my collected bank of quotes for about 15 years! You can read a whole bunch of my favorite quotes, tucked away on my website. I edged Patti's ATC with a metallic 14K gold marker to frame it, and make it more special. The envelope I sent the ATC in, that you see at the top of the page, is made from fabric! I glued an ARTchix Studio heart on with Tacky Glue as I knew Patti is fond of ARTchix things, and then I used a permanent marker to address it to her. Self adhesive stamps work great on fabric envelopes! So glad you enjoyed, Patti! Thanks for letting me know - this has been a great project so far . . . . I have 3 or 4 more to make and send!



1 comment:

  1. A beautiful ATC, Lenna, and I love what you have been doing in your watercolour class, including introducing more artists to ATCs.
    And I wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart for my stunning quiltie which arrived safely today. I have also send you an e-mail but wanted to post it here too!! I'm just lost for words to describe how much I love it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...