Tuesday, June 16, 2009

ARTchix Weekly Challenge 6/16/09

Here is my answer to Helga's challenge on her blog when she said, "Make a grid of art." Please click on the photo for a close-up.

Making a grid is something I don't think I have ever done before . . .
I hemmed and hawed and did not do anything until after our Open House was over, our friends from New York had left, and the deadline was seriously upon me!! I decided finally to do a grid of rectangles, 2.5" x 3.5" in size, as Helga said any shaped grid was okay. Then I chose items from the goody bag Helga sent me when she picked my entry as one of her favorites a couple months back. This was serious fun! I also used a 10" x 14" watercolor painting I had created in the class I was taking the past few weeks as a base for my grid. It was not a good painting by itself as I am not a realistic painter, but it was awesome to use for what I wanted to do, and I was happy to recycle it into this challenge!





















I laid the papers, collage images, stickers and ART Blast card from Helga's Goody bag out on top of my still life painting and glued them down once I got an arrangement I liked. I punched a heart shape out of the middle image and laid the extra heart shape on the receipt above it. I added black lines with a thick marker around some of the rectangles, and painted a black border around the entire edge with black acrylic paint. I used 3 different Magenta stamps by brushing the same black paint on them lightly before stamping; I wanted the same look. I added a couple of paper flowers Helga had included by using a brad, in fact everything you see as far as paper & images was from her goody bag! I think I went this way because it limited me in my decision making and helped me accomplish my goal! To finish my piece, I splattered some paint and brightened it by sponging more yellow paint on. Thank you Helga, it is always a pleasure!


6 comments:

  1. Wow Lenna, this is gorgeous! Love all of the bright colors! It's such a happy piece! Love it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think your grid is awesome!!! I have never done one either. I have to find ARTchix and join in the fun!!!
    WTG!!

    http://bevie2u2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a quilter, I just love grids and this is a gorgeous example! I would not be at all surprised if another goody bag came your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lenna, your grid is wonderful - I'm not surprised Helga chose it as one of her favourites this week! Congratulations!

    Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, congratulations on being chosen by Helga as a favourite! I'm beginning to think I might have psychic qualities but maybe it's more a matter of "great minds" thinking the same

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lenna, I really love this grid collage AND your watercolor painting and punching the heart out for the center is the bomb!! Came out GREAT!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...