Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Collage Mania II

Virginia Spiegel, who does an phenominal amount of fundraising for the American Cancer Society (ACS) is hosting Collage Mania II on May 5th and 6th, 2008. I am proud to say that I have created two collages for this event and I submitted them today, digitally. I found out shortly afterwards that they have been accepted, hooray! You can see them here in this post - click on any picture for more detail.

The idea for this fundraiser is that Virginia put out a call for art to be created & donated to Collage Mania II. On Gold Donor Day - Monday, May 5, 2008, all of the accepted collages will be available for a minimum donation of $80 starting at 9 a.m. CST on Virginia's website. The Regular Collage Mania Opens on Tuesday, May 6, 2008 and all collages will be available for a minimum donation of $40 starting at 9 a.m. CST. You can view all collages available - a 'Patron Preview' beginning April 28 on Virginia's website and a weekly Collage Mania Preview can be seen each Wednesday on Virginia Spiegel's blog.

Virginia writes, "Collage Mania II will be held May 5 and 6 on my website. There will be a Collage Mania II preview page with more information for patrons prior to that date and all available collages will be posted a week in advance so you have time to study your choices."
Note: Fiberart for a Cause has raised over $150,000. that has been donated to the ACS. This is the #2 Nationwide Fundraiser for 2007 ACS Relay For Life (Press Release).

I created my collages on a piece of fabric-paper I created last summer based on the instructions my quilt and mixed media artist friend, Frieda Oxenham gave me. A tutorial on how I created this base for my collages is told here, in an earlier post. I used my original fabric paper for these two collages, not a copy. To the fabric paper I added Lumiere paint, rubber stamping with VersaCraft inks, pigment powders, a button, ribbon embroidery thread and a small flower. As specified, I mounted them on 10" h x 8" w 140lb watercolor paper, signed and ready to be framed. My husband was so impressed to see my collage work so professionally prepared! I think I will have to treat my collages like this more often.

When submitting these two collages to Virginia she asked us to indicate if we were donating our collage as a survivor, or in honor of or in memory of someone special to you.

I wrote in my submission, "Virginia, I am doing these collages in honor of my father. He is a survivor of prostate cancer (5 years ago) and on March 24th, 2008, he had a tumor removed from his colon that was cancerous. I want to thank you personally Virginia, for all you do for the American Cancer Society and the way you gather together artists for this worthy cause."

Sincerely, Lenna Andrews, March 2008





6 comments:

  1. Oh Lenna, what beautiful work, it's left me speechless. I'm already worrying that I'm working on the 5th May but hopefully the time difference will work in my favour. My wish list is getting ever longer!!
    It must mean so much to you, specially at this time and I'm sure your dad will be so proud of you making these stunning collages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for you Lenna! Both collages are lovely but "Cherish" just took my breath away...I love all the textures and the words...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots and lots of wonderful layers and textures - would love to see it in person!!! Mary Z.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are very beautiful Lenna and for a good cause!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...