Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Journal Quilt #22


Journal Quilt for june12, originally uploaded by creativelenna.

* * * JQ #22! * * * The back of this journal quilt reads as follows:

June 12, 2007 * Journal Quilt Number 22 *

*Experiment*

This little journal quilt was born from experimentation! I’m not sure it’s my favorite, but it’s a good exercise at least. Even though I could have easily gotten inspiration and worked from my life experience this week with our 2nd wedding anniversary yesterday, I decided that trying different techniques has been good for me and I continued in this vein.

This week I started working on my journal quilt by using rubber stamps from Alpha Stamps that I had been wanting to use but just had not had a chance to play with yet. These stamps are from the Alchemy/Fortune page and are fairly detailed, but also deeply etched. I used 2 of the small tarot cards and the Tuscan column from that page for the front of my JQ. First I experimented by stamping on plain muslin as a test with these stamps and VersaCraft inks (good for detailed stamps). Then I looked for a more unusual fabric to stamp on for more contrast in my design. I remembered the white on white flower/swirls printed fabric I bought recently at my local quilt shop, Sew Inspired and decided to try that fabric and see what would happen.

I tested my stamping & I really liked it on this fabric. I heat set my stamping with my heat gun so it would not run for the next step. I practiced adding color to the printed white on white fabric with a sponge & Dye-Na-Flow. I just poured a little dye-na-flow into a shallow container, dipped my sponge in and pounced/spread it onto the white fabric. It worked well, so I stamped my images on another square, heat set them, and began the coloring process again. Then I added some details with metallic & glitter pens, and sewed around the columns to accentuate them. I think the colours are a little wild and not that pretty – but it was fun to experiment with the white on white fabric and new stamps! Hope you enjoy, and try this yourself! lenna.









* * * Here are some photos of my process . . .



5 comments:

  1. How could you possibly think it's not very pretty???? It's a beautiful, gorgeous piece that anyone would love to have!!!

    You have an amazing talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, Peony - what a beautiful name you have! Sometimes I am not confident or sure about what I create, that is why I said that. This week's JQ was not one I was immediately "wowed" about!
    I appreciate your thoughtful words.
    : ) Lenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful quiltie, Lenna, and thanks so much for sharing your process with us! It's just amazing to think you're already celebrating your 2nd anniversary. Doesn't time fly when you're happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lenna, your work is absolutely stunning, and the instructions you've written are easy to understand. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...