Saturday, February 17, 2007

(More) Fabric Mail Art


Another Fabric Postcard I'm sending to Leslie at Alpha Stamps. This time I used Timtex to give the fabric postcard some body. This is so much thicker than the Lutradur I used previously for a fabric postcard (see post below). Timtex is described as an interfacing used as a stabilizing product for hat bills, purse sides and bottoms, book covers etc. It is quite thick - about 1/4".

Lutradur on the other hand is described as: a non-woven polyester fabric that is well suited as an art medium. It's lightweight, delicate, and flexible, yet very strong. Lutradur has an open structure and accepts paint, ink, and other media and is delicate enough to filter light. Here is the back of my fabric postcard made with Timtex in the middle, click on the photos for greater detail, and see the previous post to catch a look at the Lutradur postcard.

For this postcard I used fabric images from the Alpha Stamps Mermaids 1 Fabric sheet. The large image on the front of the postcard I sewed on by machine to some rather thick 'coutil' fabric that Leslie sent. She tells me coutil is normally used for corsets (the thick weave helps keep the metal stays from cutting thru the fabric). It works well for fabric mail art too! I applied 'wonder under' which is an iron-on fusing agent to the smaller fabric images from the mermaid fabric sheet and then ironed them on to the address side of the fabric. I used rubber stamps and Fabrico/VersaCraft inks & set the inks with my heat gun. On the front of the postcard I sponged 2 colors of blue dye-na-flow ink onto the coutil fabric, sewed some fibers on (Alpha Stamps) as a frame with a big zigzig stitch and glued 2 Sanibel shells underneath the gold netting, which I also glued on to the base fabric. When everything was dry I glued the coutil fabric pieces, front & back, to the timtex which is in the middle with a white tacky glue called Grrrip Glue - I love this glue! I also used the same blue fibers to whip stitch around the edge. Then I used my permanent Micron Pen to address this to Leslie, added a self adhesive stamp & popped in in the mailbox! enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Lenna--Your postcards are just gorgeous! I just signed up for your fabric book/quilty class in March and am really psyched for it! One question, as I know you have lots of experience: What have you found to be most economical: 1) printing your own images on fabric, 2) doing inkjet transfers onto fabric, or 3) buying preprinted fabric collage images on the Internet?
    I am curious as I am struggling with inkjet transfers at the moment! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra, Thanks for writing! I am glad to hear you signed up for my Fabric Book class im March through joggles.com - great!! We will be doing image transfers as part of the class so hopefully this will shine some light on your struggles. I expect it will!

    Your question - which is most economical? I would say printing images yourself on your ink jet printer, IF you have some available images you like & know how to do this process. I really like purchasing fabric images from companies like Alpha Stamps & ARTchix studio the best because they are the best quality, the images are beautiful and it's so easy! The image transfers can be a little tricky and you often have to go through a bit of gel medium before getting the results you want.

    All 3 methods or choices you mentioned have a different look too! I would purchase some already made fabric images, and then try inkjet printing and image transfers as options.

    Clear as mud??

    : ) hope I helped, Lenna

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...